Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 Year-End Comp

Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Excellent, and Thank you!

Already started picking up some albums. You already completely sold me on Cosmos. Lee Harvey Osmond is in the mail but have listened to it several times on myspace. Robyn Hitchcock is terrific and always an autobuy for me. Those 3 albums will be in my top 5 albums for the year. Probably will pull the trigger on Califone, Super Furry Animals, and Iron & Wine. John Vanderslice, Black Heart Procession, Wilco, and Old Canes are on my maybe soon list.

Spurring the economy through YECs. Another good comp!

42 Regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed the beta version of this stellar comp on a long plane flight (and on the return flight). The perfect way to soothe the mind and drown out the screaming lap-child three seats away.

Thanks again, Slosh. As usual, yours is a very tough act to follow. I'll try to get mine up, just as soon as I figure out how to open a MediaFire account and upload 22 tracks. (I'm a tech spaz, so wish me luck.)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Gracias Oh Sloshing-One....my first experience with the Old Canes and Cosmos and I liked 'em both....
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    ...as soon as I figure out how to open a MediaFire account and upload 22 tracks. (I'm a tech spaz, so wish me luck.)
    Tell me how when you find out.

You don't need to open an account to upload.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Uh, I tink dere's sometin' wrong wit de MP3. Ain't workin' for me (to poop on).

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Uh, I tink dere's sometin' wrong wit de MP3. Ain't workin' for me (to poop on).
    How so? Did you unzip it (D'uh)? A couple of my friends are telling me it worked fine for them.

FWIW, the only difference between this one and the one in Swish's What's New thread is the Holopaw track is now VO (was 256CBR before).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I'll try to get mine up, just as soon as I figure out how to open a MediaFire account and upload 22 tracks. (I'm a tech spaz, so wish me luck.)
    I recommend Dropbox now. MediaFire, YSI, SendSpace, etc. limit you to 100MB so splitting up a 509MB comp would require six separate folders (PITA). Dropbox gives you 2GB to play with. It took me a bit to figure it out but to get the download link you right-click on the Dropbox icon and select launch Dropbox website, then open your public folder and right-click on the file/folder you want to paste the url from. Plus it uploads and downloads way faster than MediaFire (I was getting 675kb/s down vs. about 1/10th of that speed from MediaFire).

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks Slosh. I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Some nice stuff on here that I'm going to have to investigate. But the one really delicious standout for me is the Iron and Wine tune.

I've heard some older tunes by this band that I didn't really care for so I've stayed away from them. But the tune on this YEC, Die, is a wonderful little song. Is the rest of the album like this? I think perhaps I may have judged too soon.

Thank you. Downloaded and playing now.

A few technical notes for next time:

I'm using the mp3. Sounds fine in iTunes.

For some reason, where the title is listed, it has the name of the artist and then the song title ie: "Califone- Polish Girls" and then it has the artist name under artist as well. But not on all of them. Did you modify these after you ripped them? Why?

The track order is different than the one listed in your OP. It's not alphabetical either. Weird.

The bit rates are all different and seem random. Why?

I had to create it as a playlist manually, pulling songs from their places alphabetically. Suggest putting something like "Sloshy best of 2009" in the album field so that it can all be sorted as a playlist without having to search for the songs.

And put better songs on it next time, woodja?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy

I had to create it as a playlist manually, pulling songs from their places alphabetically. Suggest putting something like "Sloshy best of 2009" in the album field so that it can all be sorted as a playlist without having to search for the songs.

Why not just create the playlist in iTunes, and drag and drop the mp3s into it from the source folder?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I'll keep 2 or 3 tracks (flac). The rest is way too compressed, I can't (won't?) listen to stuff that sounds that flat when there is so much out there that has decent dynamic range.

Sorry Sloshy
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Why not just create the playlist in iTunes, and drag and drop the mp3s into it from the source folder?
    Yeah, I guess I coulda done it that way . . .

I didn't realize until after I opened them in iTunes that it was going to just be a bunch of loose songs instead of being built as a comp.

Yeah, I guess I coulda done it that way . . .

I didn't realize until after I opened them in iTunes that it was going to just be a bunch of loose songs instead of being built as a comp.
    I did the same thing Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I'll keep 2 or 3 tracks (flac). The rest is way too compressed, I can't (won't?) listen to stuff that sounds that flat when there is so much out there that has decent dynamic range.
    Do you listen to music or the recording?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I usually solve the iTunes problem simply by selecting all the songs, getting info [command-I], and

1) filling in a name for the album "Slosh's 2009 Year End Comp" for example
    2) Identifying it as a compilation by checking the box.
    3) Quickly renumbering the tracks.

It takes all of 5 minutes and then you have an Album that works like an album in iTunes.

minor hassle, sure. but not a deal killer. imo.

Thank you. Downloaded and playing now.

A few technical notes for next time:

I'm using the mp3. Sounds fine in iTunes.

For some reason, where the title is listed, it has the name of the artist and then the song title ie: "Califone- Polish Girls" and then it has the artist name under artist as well. But not on all of them. Did you modify these after you ripped them? Why?
    Simple answer- iTunes is dumb.

The track order is different than the one listed in your OP. It's not alphabetical either. Weird.
    again, stupid iTunes.

The bit rates are all different and seem random. Why?
    variable bit rate (320kbps peak)

Mac people think iTunes is great only because they never have the chance to try something better. But as I thought I made clear, the folder already has a playlist file included (that even iTunes should be able to play correctly in the intended sequence).

I'll put bitter songs on next time.

I found this also. But just now I went into my playlist in iTunes and clicked on each song and the artist name just vanished. So "Califone-Polish Girls" became just "Polish Girls" with the artist as Califone.

It was like magic.

Okay, so I haven't used iTunes in several years but if I remember correctly you just import the playlist file into iTunes and not the folder. Then it will show it in the playlist pane and the tracks will be in the intended sequence.

As Troy mentioned, the individual songs will show up as Artist-Track Title. This is an iTunes quirk. Every other media player software I have ever used shows it as in the screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Some nice stuff on here that I'm going to have to investigate. But the one really delicious standout for me is the Iron and Wine tune.

I've heard some older tunes by this band that I didn't really care for so I've stayed away from them. But the tune on this YEC, Die, is a wonderful little song. Is the rest of the album like this? I think perhaps I may have judged too soon.
    That song and the Spoon track are from the Dark Was The Night comp.

Okay, so I haven't used iTunes in several years but if I remember correctly you just import the playlist file into iTunes and not the folder. Then it will show it in the playlist pane and the tracks will be in the intended sequence.

As Troy mentioned, the individual songs will show up as Artist-Track Title. This is an iTunes quirk. Every other media player software I have ever used shows it as in the screenshot.
    The way I did it was to clicked on each song in the file I downloaded, and the file opened and was automatically saved in iTunes. Then I created the playlist and dragged each song into the playlist.

Mine's not in the order that you show either. But that has nothing to do with iTunes. The order was different when I unzipped the file...before the songs were transferred to iTunes.

That song and the Spoon track are from the Dark Was The Night comp.
    Thanks. I just added that comp to my shopping cart. I'm going to investigate Iron and Wine too.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    The way I did it was to clicked on each song in the file I downloaded, and the file opened and was automatically saved in iTunes. Then I created the playlist and dragged each song into the playlist.

Mine's not in the order that you show either. But that has nothing to do with iTunes. The order was different when I unzipped the file...before the songs were transferred to iTunes.
    Sheesh, I didn't think people would be having any trouble with this.

The tracks in the folder are in numerical order and there's a playlist file at the very end called "My Favorite Songs Of 2009" ("Slosh 2009 Year-End Compilation" for the FLAC version). All you have to do is click on it and hit play in iTunes. You can also click on it and hit import into iTunes.

There's no need to rename the tracks or albums or create a new playlist in iTunes. This is the whole point of including a playlist file.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information