Ronnie James Dio diagnosed w/stomach cancer.

Wendy Dio, the wife and manager of legendary heavy metal [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...temID=131004#] vocalist Ronnie James Dio (HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

"Long live rock and roll [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...temID=131004#] , long live Ronnie James Dio.

"Thanks to all the friends and fans, from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Ronnie James Dio, 67, has performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...temID=131004#] , and his own band DIO. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project whcih also includes former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

DIO cancelled its European tour last week after Ronnie was taken ill. The band's lineup for the European tour was supposed to include WHITESNAKE/ex-DIO axeman Doug Aldrich due to the fact that the group's regular guitarist, Craig Goldy, had prior touring commitments with BUDGIE in Australia.

DIO's last release was the "Holy Diver Live" CD, featuring a performance of the classic "Holy Diver" album in its entirety, from start to finish, recorded live for the very first time in 2005 in front of a sold-out London crowd.

Fucking cancer. I still have fond memories of Elf from way back in the day. I was never a big fan of Sabbath, but I still feel bad for the guy. I hope he can kick this to the curb.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Somewhere Vivian Campbell is giggling...

...but I agree with Swishy, I hope he beats this thing...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Loved Rainbow. Hope he recovers.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Now where did I put that cape and scepter?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Dio is 67?! Holy cow. I didn't know that.

I wish him well. It sounds like he has quite a fight on his hands.

Suspended
    Yeah, I didn't realize he was that age either. I'm a big fan. I have something from him with almost every project. I'm missing some Elf. A lot of stuff I bought back in high school like Blackmore's Rainbow,, Cary Livgren's solo album, Sabbath's Heaven & Hell all on LP. Hope the best for him.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I didn't know Budgie were touring! I wonder if they'll come to Canada. Seems everyone gets cancer nowadays, I find it really discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Yeah...and he's shrinking!! The guitarist in the clip is former Hurricane axman Doug Aldrich who is about 6'2....my advanced computer graphic mapping system indicates that would make Dio about 4 foot 7 inches...

Suspended
    I don't remember Dio's exact height but I've read that he was short and how he'd always wear platform shoes.

I haven't heard Budgie's name in years. I wonder if they've done something new or if it's one of those classic tour things. I'd imagine they'd be in small venues in the States. I doubt if many know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I haven't heard Budgie's name in years. I wonder if they've done something new or if it's one of those classic tour things. I'd imagine they'd be in small venues in the States. I doubt if many know who they are.
    Didn't Vince Neil kill their lead singer?....Michael Monroe I believe wass his name...

Suspended
    Are you talking about Nicholas Dingley who died in Neil's crash in 1984? He was the drummer for Hannoy Rocks.

Well, his first 'big' gig was with Elf staring in 1969.

That's 40 years ago, so it's not hard to believe he's that old. I say them open for someone but I can't remember the opening act. Really! Mandrill was also on the bill at the old Hershey Arena. That was early 70s and I saw a lot of bands during that time and after.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I loved Dio growing up. Damn, that guy could wail back then. Still can sorta.

I hope he beats it.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    That's 40 years ago, so it's not hard to believe he's that old. I say them open for someone but I can't remember the opening act. Really! Mandrill was also on the bill at the old Hershey Arena. That was early 70s and I saw a lot of bands during that time and after.
    Logically, I understand that he's been around a long time. But it's just strange to see his age in print and realize that he's only 6 years younger than my mother!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I loved Dio growing up. Damn, that guy could wail back then. Still can sorta.

I hope he beats it.
    Yeah, as a kid two of my first concert experiences were The Last in Line and Sacred Heart tours...."wail" is an excellent description....and he always surrounded himself with competent musicians.

Logically, I understand that he's been around a long time. But it's just strange to see his age in print and realize that he's only 6 years younger than my mother!
    He's five years older than mine.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Suspended
    Actually, he's the same age as mine. Crazy, my mom can't stand hard Rock and yelled all my life to "turn that shtuff down"! She must have ran with the wrong crowd

that sux, I dig dio and bs

Thread Information