Rega P3 and Shure M97xE cart issues

With cart installed it sits below the height of the record even when the tone arm up and down thing (sorry, don't know official name) is up all the way.

See photos.

This is as far up as it goes.

So this means I have to manually lift and set down the cart on the record. I leave the brush down because it makes the down ward contact slow and stable.

From looking at the Rega carts it appears they have a much lower profile and down hang down as low off the tone arm headshell.

Is the way it is now bad? Cause record damage? And if this is the case, it seems I am now limited to Rega carts only.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Try a Rega 2mm spacer. I have to use one with the Ortofon OM20 cartridge. Your table should use the new Rega 3 point mount at the base of the turntable so you need the 3 point spacer. Unscrew the arm from the plinth, unhook the wires from your phono pre-amp and pull the tonearm and wires free from the plinth. Then take the spacer and feed the wires through the spacer, then wires back through the hole in the plinth and reattach tonearm. Plug turntable leads back into the phono input and you are ready to go.

This will give you a more correct vertical tracking angle and should also improve the sound. You might want to recheck overhang and offset. Oh and I never use the Rega alignment method but one of the Baerwald alignment guages. I like the Mo Fi Geodisc for easy and accurate alignment.

Have fun.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=atomicAdam]the tone arm up and down thing (sorry, don't know official name)
    QUOTE]

Elevator

[QUOTE=poppachubby]
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    the tone arm up and down thing (sorry, don't know official name)
    QUOTE]

Elevator

Wrong answer, but thanks for playing. Just kidding Poppachubby. Seriously with my Ortofon OM 20 without the spacer the arm is too low in the rear. The tonearm lift then can not raise the arm high enough to clear the record. Once the spacer is added the tonearm will be closer to parallel with the record and using the cue lever will elevate the arm enough to clear the record. My Benz MC Gold, Grado Red, Sumiko BluePoint do not need the spacer but the OM 20 and it sounds like the M97XE does need one.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Damn...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Try a Rega 2mm spacer. I have to use one with the Ortofon OM20 cartridge. Your table should use the new Rega 3 point mount at the base of the turntable so you need the 3 point spacer. Unscrew the arm from the plinth, unhook the wires from your phono pre-amp and pull the tonearm and wires free from the plinth. Then take the spacer and feed the wires through the spacer, then wires back through the hole in the plinth and reattach tonearm. Plug turntable leads back into the phono input and you are ready to go.

This will give you a more correct vertical tracking angle and should also improve the sound. You might want to recheck overhang and offset. Oh and I never use the Rega alignment method but one of the Baerwald alignment guages. I like the Mo Fi Geodisc for easy and accurate alignment.

Have fun.

Thanks JM -

I just called the shop I bought it from and they have a spacer in stock and are going to install for me. I think I can get them to set up my cartridge correctly as well. Since they already offered that previously. I just hope the spacer doesn't cost some ridicules amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Thanks JM -

I just called the shop I bought it from and they have a spacer in stock and are going to install for me. I think I can get them to set up my cartridge correctly as well. Since they already offered that previously. I just hope the spacer doesn't cost some ridicules amount of money.

Adam,

Well it could but it should not. I think the three hole spacers are about $20 but Rega now has a Universal spacer. The Universal has 4 sets of 3 holes to raise the tonearm to 4 different heights. That is the most adjustable a Rega arm has ever been using a Rega spacer. The benefit is you would not have to remove it to change VTA. Just pick a new set of holes.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83919
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Adam, so what is up with the turntable? Did the shop take care of your table? Enquiring analog minds want to know.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Adam, so what is up with the turntable? Did the shop take care of your table? Enquiring analog minds want to know.

Haven't had time yet. I went to drop off on Tuesday before I go climbing but they were closed. I'll try again this weekend.

Thread Information