Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Ultralink vs Acoustic Research

No great detail on this one. Infact, about as scientific as a dollar store calculator. The fact of the matter is, I got a great deal on AR PR-220 12 g cable. So, I bought 2- 10 foot strands with gold plated AR banana plugs. I love AR. For my gear, they give me great results and I use the Pro Series for all of my analog connects.

There is no fairy tale ending for this AR cabling I'm afraid. I've had Ultralink Challenger-2 cabling hooked up for at least 2000 hours now. I just wanted a change, problem is, I got a bad change. The AR sounded wicked flat. I can't make a proper comparison because the UL is burned in and settled so nicely, it mercilessly destroyed the AR.

To say the least I packed up the AR w/ plugs and sold it to a mate for a steal. Suffice it to say, I have quite an attachment to my Ultralink. It's fantastic stuff, and Canadian of course. I guess I didn't realize just how much I loved it, and just how great it sounded until I pulled in some fresh stuff.

Anyhow, I picked up some fresh termination and heat shrink. Back on they go...

http://www.ultralinkcables.com/#/products/challenger_2/

http://www.araccessories.com/aracces...ODUCT_ID=PR220
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultralink vs Acoustic Research-dsc02501.jpg  

Chicago IL
    All my cables are with gold plated AR banana plugs. I can't have it just the wire ends!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    All my cables are with gold plated AR banana plugs. I can't have it just the wire ends!
    Yes I prefer termination as well dak. Quite a few cable manufacturers will actually suggest bare wire when possible. My problem is my current amp will not house plugs, I have to use pins. The speakers have posts with screw-on nuts, for these I have ring style connection. I always use heat shrink to seal up everything really good.

What kind of cabling have you got dak? With all those speakers you must have quite a bit. A guy like you could benefit by dropping a couple hundred on a full roll.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Hey Pchub next time check out solid core cable if you want to hear some great music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Hey Pchub next time check out solid core cable if you want to hear some great music.
    John, I assume you connect with these? Please give me a link with a specific connection...

BTW dak, here they are , one last time, I have been enjoying carrying them around. That super tough feel in my hand, the extra heavy weight making them seem all the more amazing. (Sniffle)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultralink vs Acoustic Research-dsc02502.jpg  

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Tara Labs Prism wire is a nice solid core choice. I only replaced mine because I had a $1000 pair of Synergistic Research cables fall into my life. Nice difference there for sure.

Thread Information