Always looking for info Knightwick's Avatar

Talking Looking for opinions on my new Yamaha HTR-5890 Receiver

Hi
    I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone new anything about or had any opinons on the receiver I just picked up. It's not hdmi but it sounds beautiful. It's a Yamaha HTR-5890. I'm not really an audiophile but I love good sound and do the best I can for the money I get and I think I have a pretty good system although most of yours would blow mine away but at least I like it.
    Thanks for your info and your time.

I too have a yamaha reveiver but I only use the amplification for my center and rear channels. I have an Adcom 545 mk2 power amp for my main channels for more power and overall sound quality. I know you don't have HDMI but what t you have is the channel inputs so if you wanted to you could get a blue ray player like the OPPO blue ray player and use the inboard processing to get the new formats and run analog cables to your receiver and your set. Its just like you have a receiver with the new formats. In fact I've even heard people say that they prefer the decoders in their blue ray players than in their receivers. My receiver is from the same era as yours and they are a good qualtiy unit for the money. In all reality to do alot better than that unit as far as sound quality goes you would probably have to go to seperates. Not to say there isn't better receivers out there but there is a point where you are spending so much for a receiver that you could get seperates and I allways prefer seperates if all possible. But you got a good all around unit and if you got a good price on it thats cool to. The only thing I notice is Yamaha does not have the following that they used to. And their units don't seem to rate as well as they used to.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I too have a yamaha reveiver but I only use the amplification for my center and rear channels. I have an Adcom 545 mk2 power amp for my main channels for more power and overall sound quality. I know you don't have HDMI but what t you have is the channel inputs so if you wanted to you could get a blue ray player like the OPPO blue ray player and use the inboard processing to get the new formats and run analog cables to your receiver and your set. Its just like you have a receiver with the new formats. In fact I've even heard people say that they prefer the decoders in their blue ray players than in their receivers. My receiver is from the same era as yours and they are a good qualtiy unit for the money. In all reality to do alot better than that unit as far as sound quality goes you would probably have to go to seperates. Not to say there isn't better receivers out there but there is a point where you are spending so much for a receiver that you could get seperates and I allways prefer seperates if all possible. But you got a good all around unit and if you got a good price on it thats cool to. The only thing I notice is Yamaha does not have the following that they used to. And their units don't seem to rate as well as they used to.
    Thanks Harley
    That info helps. I really do like this receiver. I won it on ebay for $200.00 plus shipping and it is still under warranty for 2 years. I didn't think it was a bad price for getting what I wanted and it gives me options like you said.
    Thanks for taking your time to let me know.

Well I have been happy with my Yamaha and I think if I were to upgrage from it I would go seperates. And My Yamaha has preamp outputs so it will drive my Adcom plus the DAC in the receiver is not bad either. Its not comparable to a higher end outboard dac but I run my multidisk player into it with a digital cable and it smoothed out the audio responce, Since I mostly listen to music and movies and video are a secondary thats more my concern anyway. If you are into the theater thing just remember that you have analog inputs so if you get a blue ray player get one with a processor in it so you can run analog output cables into the yamaha and get the newer true hd adn maser audio surround sound formats. Its the best way to do it or you will have to buy a new receiver and one with all of this decoding and is as clean as your yamaha will run around 800 to 1000 bucks. You did pretty good for 200 bucks since the only thing new you could get for that would have been one of sony's or pioneers cheap units that do not even touch the yamaha's quality.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Just enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think! It will do just fine with home theater and home audio. Oops, there I go, telling you what I think!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks, I do really like it and its got great sound...

Music Lover
    I've been using this very receiver for several years now in my HT setup. If there's something specific you'd like to know go ahead and ask.

Welcome to the forum.
    Rudy

Thread Information