AR Newbie Registered Member

sony TC-854-4 reel to reel

I recently came into possession of a sony tc-854-4 reel to reel . I have been unable to find much info online regarding this deck,nor can I find any for sale. If someone could share some insight on this I would appreciate it.
    Thanks & very informative sight, Tim

AR Newbie Registered Member

Sony TC-854-4 Recorder

Just discovered this excellent website this morning and have enjoyed looking over many of the excellent replies. In answer to the person not knowing about the Sony TC-854-4 Tape Deck, it is a Discrete Quadriphonic 4 Channel Stereo Deck that was popular in the early 1970's. It is the same as the TC-850-4 only with the additional 3rd & 4th channel electronics added. Sony's number designation for these decks is as follows:

TC = Tape Recorder
    "TC-850" means it is a 2 channel stereo deck.
    "TC-854" means it is a 4 channel quadriphonic deck (4 discrete channels).

The "-2" after the number means it has two track recording/ playback heads as in TC-850-2. (This two track configuration (also called half-track recording) gave a superior signal to noise ratio compared to the TC-850-4.) [The 2 tracks used the full 1/4 inch width of the tape.]

The "-4" after the number means it is a four track deck as in "TC-850-4" Four Track/Two Channel Stereo, or "TC-854-4" Quadriphonic Stereo (four tracks on tape/four discrete channels).

These tape decks have a frequency response when new of 20hz to 28Khz. Which is superior to CD's as they are only 20hz-20Khz.

These decks originally came factory boxed new with the Sony Dust Cover (for the front of the deck), Quick Release NAB Tape Hubs and Complete Manuals (user and service).

Thread Information