Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar

I Finally got the SX-1980's little Brother........

Ironically I stumbled onto this beast while surfing CL and even more ironic, it was located in my old Hometown of Des Moines, Iowa. Talked with the seller for hours about things and people of Des Moines, telling him I am a native of the area. It is the SX-1980's little brother, the SX-1280. This beast was a little dirty when I got it, I cleaned it up with some elbow grease, tested it with my Marantz M10's and boy oh boy does the old girl put out some beautiful sonic waves of pure power right at 185 WPC RMS and then some, it was peaking much higher than that on the power meters. I excercised it long enough to have it generate a little heat and then I gave it a rest, then snapped the pic you see here, still with the top walnut cover off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Finally got the SX-1980's little Brother........-picture-524.jpg  
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar
    Here's a snapshot view of the top with cover off showing the massive toroidal tranny, flanked by four big 12,000uF capacitors. What a work of electronic art this thing is, just like it's big brother, my SX-1980
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Finally got the SX-1980's little Brother........-picture-526.jpg  
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Great pick-up Charlie!!!

You got to love that SX series line-up. The guy who sold me the 850 also had a 1250 for sale but the $600 price while more than fair was a bit out of my price range. Listening to it though was a treat.

I know alot of people out there have some modern gear rated a 100-125wpc on but I don't that they would come anywhere close to matching the output of one of these babies!

Thanks for sharing and good job on the clean up!

Thread Information