Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Splicing: Cardinal Sin or Acceptable Neccessity?

I was hooking up some speaks today and ran out of the 18 guage I was using. Yep, you know what happened next...I used a proper 18 guage splice connector w/ crimp and heat seal. I actually hate splicing, it just feels like its not right.

This got me wondering about the technical aspects of splitting. If done "correctly", can the information transfer have the same quality as a full lead? And if there is a perfect splice, what connectors or pieces are required to achieve it.

I am on my way out to my local surplus shop to get more cable now...cheerio...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suspended
    I've heard each splice increases the impedance but if both channels have a splice at least it will be even. I would be surprised if you heard any difference. I guess also there's a factor of less isolation where the splice is and the longer the run the more chance of interference throughout not to mention increase in impedance or possible signal loss.

Those factors are all true Peabody, but what can be done to reduce or eliminate them? A solid and sealed connection will stop corrosion and deterioration. However I'm wondering what opinions are about improving or stopping the impedance factor. Is there soemthing that can be done with a splice to make it seamless?

If I absolutely had to splice, I would overlap the joint about 1 1/2", twist the conductors neatly together, solder (preferably with silver solder) then heat shrink the joint.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Y'know those plastic caps that you use to splice the house power to a light fixture? I've actually used those and it worked out fine.

Suspended
    If you don't have a choice but to splice just do the best job you can and don't worry about it. If you don't hear any problems then you are good.

I always heard the flats in England were small, where you taking those speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    If done "correctly", can the information transfer have the same quality as a full lead?
    For heaven's sake, go find a Canadian equivalent to Wal-Mart and spend $12.00 on some unbroken 14 gauge wire. The loss of bass impact with 18 gauge wire even in short lengths will be audible. The clear covering will allow you to readily spot oxidation when it occurs.

Cheap Philips 14 Gauge

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    For heaven's sake, go find a Canadian equivalent to Wal-Mart and spend $12.00 on some unbroken 14 gauge wire. The loss of bass impact with 18 gauge wire even in short lengths will be audible. The clear covering will allow you to readily spot oxidation when it occurs.

Cheap Philips 14 Gauge

rw
    hahaha point taken...

Suspended
    I think if you connect a bias voltage the insulation and cryogenically treat the conductors you'll be OK

Forum Regular

Curious about splicing

I wonder about splicing because I can't afford to rewire my Rega RB 250 tonearm and also put a Techno-weight on it. I am considering cutting into the "el-cheapo" stock wiring right under the base plug and splicing in a decent set of wires to the pre-amp. Any thoughts?

Phono cartridge leads are a different story entirely from speaker leads. The signal level there is entirely too low. You want one run from start to finish with no splices.
    Last edited by markw; 09-26-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Suspended
    In addition to what Mark said, that move may not hold well for warranty if any left or resale value.

Thread Information