Forum Regular

Important question on Sony STR-DA4ES

I saw this unit as an open box/demo at a local store for $200.00. It is missing the manual and remote. Is this a good deal to pick up? Any idea how much a new remote from Sony would run?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHT
    I saw this unit as an open box/demo at a local store for $200.00. It is missing the manual and remote. Is this a good deal to pick up? Any idea how much a new remote from Sony would run?
    My gut feeling about this "deal" is that it's just too cheap to be a worthwhile gamble for you. You're familiar with the age-old expression ... "... if it seems too good to be true - it probably is" aren't you? Well, this appears to be a classic example of same. That's a $1,000 receiver, and even though it's missing the remote and the manual, it ought to be worth more than $200 unless there's something seriously wrong with it. My advice would be to steer clear.

What store is this by the way? Part of a national chain? Or, a one-of-a-kind store?
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    My gut feeling about this "deal" is that it's just too cheap to be a worthwhile gamble for you. You're familiar with the age-old expression ... "... if it seems too good to be true - it probably is" aren't you? Well, this appears to be a classic example of same. That's a $1,000 receiver, and even though it's missing the remote and the manual, it ought to be worth more than $200 unless there's something seriously wrong with it. My advice would be to steer clear.

What store is this by the way? Part of a national chain? Or, a one-of-a-kind store?
    It's Ultimate Electronics...a chain and public corporation. They said it has its full factory warranty on it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHT
    It's Ultimate Electronics...a chain and public corporation. They said it has its full factory warranty on it.
    Since it's Ultimate Electronics - a well respected company, that changes the picture a bit. If they'll put that "full factory warranty" (5 years!) in writing for you, then grab it. If a manual and a remote from Sony costs you another hundred, you're still getting one helluva deal. As I said in my previous, that's a $1,000 receiver which cost the dealer more than $600 when they bought it from Sony. It isn't every day that we get the chance to get a (relatively) high-priced piece of consumer electronics for 20 cents on the dollar!

Go for it - and good luck
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thread Information