AR Newbie Registered Member

Sansui A80 or Marantz 2245?

I'm buying my first vintage receiver/amp and I'm currently between these two due to local availability and price (I'm not from the USA).
    I'm really unsure regarding which one to pick, considering the Marantz is twice the price of the sansui. My main question is, is it worth it? Will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality?
    I have a pair of Monitor Audio Br2 which I'll use with the one I buy.

The Marantz from the 70's is likely going to be better than the Sansui from the 80's...just like it would generally be better than the Marantz equipment from the 80's.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm still looking for some opinions.
    Does anyone know if the phono stage is decent?

Quote Originally Posted by balongaso
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm still looking for some opinions.
    Does anyone know if the phono stage is decent?
    I have a Marantz 2325, which is the 125-watt receiver from the same era. It certainly has a decent phono stage. I'd even call it quite good. I used to own a Marantz 1090, which is the 45-watt integrated amp from that era...actually followed directly after by a year...and it too had what I'd call a good or at least decent phono stage.

In the early 80's, one of my buddies bought a Sansui about like the one you're considering and it was certainly in no way in the same league as my Marantz 2325, but it was fine for what he wanted from it. My opinion is that the Marantz is the better choice.

Thread Information