Forum Regular

Question Intermittent CD Player Skip?

I bought a Technics Carousel Cd Player 3-4 years ago. After a year it suddenly began to skip on Cd's...intermittently. Once in a while. I've used a CD Cleaner a number of times, but to no avail. So, it just sits there, on the shelf, since I have another CD player. It skips less on classical music. Tried it again yesterday...and same problem. Any ideas on the problem? I hate to throw it out and I don't want to blow alot of money on it either???

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The problem is most of these units are disposable. You roll the dice and you hope they last, but in reality If you get 4 years out of a carousel you're doing pretty well. The problems could be many but it may likely be that the lens assembly is not tracking discs properly and is haphazardly playing. My old Laserdisc/cd player had a similar problem and it is far cheaper to just buy a new player. I recently purchased a 300 disc mega changer from Sony. I realize full well that it may not last 10 years. But it is actually built reasonably well, is quiet and seems to be much simpler in design(a good thing) than a 5 disc carousel(the most notrious of all changers for failing). Magazine loaders would get stuck too.

You should be able to get a changer for under $200.00(under $100.00 for a very cheap one).

Forum Regular

CD Player Skips

Thanks. Disposable. That was my best guess too. I hate throwing stuff out that should be working. I'll probably go to a local shop and get an estimate. Probably it will be over $50 and since it was a $150 unit 3-4 years ago---it will go to Ebay as a parts machine. I have a couple different set-ups and a 2 year old Phillips CDR which works fine and a 9 year old Pioneer magazine type which also works just fine. Just a roll of the dice.

Thread Information