sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar

Last night the moon came ...

Ah, new Jon Hassell, anyone else been getting lost in this lately? Very nice, quiet too, really have to give the vc a big twirl. Refreshing in these modern days. Course the guy is old as a rock now, but still blows a cool sound through that horn. One of the best things I've heard this year, if you dig that future jazz sound.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31702

Anybody got a half gone workin' yet? Little over half gone, I guess. Been anticipating the new Signal Morning with all the elephants in one place again, even the elusive Magnum from what I've heard. Could a new one from OTC be far behind? Rockin' new Cracker, but seems a bit adolescent. Do some bands grow younger with age? Manic Street Preachers really crank it up on the new one, even got Steve Albini to do the recording, but CD is one of those big label master jobs, all the same level, not a hint of dynamics or musical nuance. Haven't heard that much other stuff, yet.
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 08-06-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Haven't been buying much music lately. I haven't even ventured down to the local store. The last new thing I heard was the Doves - Kingdom Of Rust, which is pretty good
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I put a half gone playlist together for myself but I decided I'm gonna hold off and save those songs for a kickass YEC instead

Check yer PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Check yer PM.
    Thanks, I'll give it a twirl. That upcoming Circulatory System is really, really good, in case that got lost in my E6 babblings. Definitely the leader in my not yet year end rankings, though I am highly disposed to liking it ...is highly disposed really an expression? Maybe more like my soul is becoming highly psychedelicized. Very cool and trippy. Might have to trip the wire for that deluxe vinyl set while there is still time...

Was listening to that John Cassell yesterday. Probably a good chance of listening a bit later tonight when I get ready to crash. Nice stuff.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Anyone heard the 'new' Modest Mouse yet?

Me did - today

I guess its more of an EP, as most of the songs are leftovers from past sessions.

Seems they've left off the polished production of the last two albums for this EP. Not saying they sound like demos though. Didn't listen but once, not long enough to form a solid opinion on the music, but it reminds me of their older stuff and perhaps a tad more enjoyable than about half of their last one, which I liked quite a bit at first, but hasn't had any staying power.

Anyone know when an official release is scheduled?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Anyone heard the 'new' Modest Mouse yet?
    I'd like to hear a new Ugly Casanova record, that would be fun. But I guess that whole group of artists is usually pretty busy with their own bands, not to mention that Califone is also touring now as their old band Red Red Meat, and same with BHP as Three Mile Pilot. And Holopaw has a new one out in Sept, and both Califone and Black Heart Procession in October. Fun times to be a fan of that set of bands. I kinda like that older, messier Modest Mouse better myself, even if sometimes hit or miss. But that Casanova turned out pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    I'd like to hear a new Ugly Casanova record, that would be fun. But I guess that whole group of artists is usually pretty busy with their own bands, not to mention that Califone is also touring now as their old band Red Red Meat, and same with BHP as Three Mile Pilot. And Holopaw has a new one out in Sept, and both Califone and Black Heart Procession in October. Fun times to be a fan of that set of bands. I kinda like that older, messier Modest Mouse better myself, even if sometimes hit or miss. But that Casanova turned out pretty special.
    Wow, lots of good stuff getting released this fall. Add the Fruit Bats to that list (it's been growing on me). I didn't care much for the last Modest Mouse album. I got the CD that came with the bonus vinyl track. I'll pass on this newest comp of theirs.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Add the Fruit Bats to that list
    My list was just Ugly Casanova alumni, and Eric Johnson (Fruit Bats) wasn't on that record as far as I know, but they are part of that family, and apparently Johnson did play guitar on the Ugly Casanova tour, so good call. Guy I work with is good friends with him, and a huge fan of Spelled in Bones, but haven't had a chance to ask about the new one yet. So you like it, eh? They get a little too sunny sounding for me at times, and not enough quirk or that fractured blues sound I love about Califone, but usually good music.

Thread Information