Forum Regular

Smile focal 726v vs b&w 684

Hello Guys,

I am moving to my new apartment and I am planning to upgrade my orb speakers to either focal or b&w. I wanna use them to watch blurays and listen to mainstream music most of them are, R&B, Mariah Carey, House, Trance, Electro, Hip Hop, etc. Obviously, focal's bass is louder ( which I want ) focal's got 3 6.5" compare with b&w's 2 5" But how about the sound quality? In the mean time I will be pushing these speakers 5.1 with my old marantz SR18. I will be using ORB for my L/R surrounds. My sub will be a Velodyne HGS12.

Focal Chorus726v, ChorusCC700v
    b&w 684, htm62

I have listened to b&w 684 and I like it but lack of bass. Focals are a bit better but still lack of bass compare with klipsch. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

p.s focals are $120usd cheaper than the b&w here in Taiwan.

I wouldn't involve Klipsch in the comparison unless you're looking for efficiency. With the Focal, at least they are giving you more bass than the B&W. The thing I would be careful of with Focal tower speakers is the midrange. Make sure it's clear and not colored or even slightly muffled. I listened to a similar pair from the Cobalt series and thought the midrange should have been much more forward.

for me and Focal, it starts with the Profile series and only gets better as you go up the line.

Charm Thai™
    As much as i would hate to spend my hard earned dollar on french gear i'd still take the focal's over the b&w's.

Suspended
    I can't comment on the specific models but can on the brands.

I own a pair of JM Labs (Focal) Tantal 509s which I believe were replaced by the Cobalt line.
    http://uk.cinenow.com/products/2303-tantal-509

The 509 has a Titanium tweeter that has it's own characteristics compared to Aluminum or Silk. The model your looking at has a far better tweeter in it than mine. Focal also manufactured many other brand's drivers like Dynaudio did. What I can say about my JMs sound, I have heard several models up to the Grand Utopia BE, is they are fast, detailed, accurate and sound fabulous with either my Conterpoint or Stratos amp, even via 50' of rat shacks best.

As far as the B&Ws, I got to hear almost as many at Soundex when they were still in business and overall they sound good. I went head to head with B&W and Dynaudio when I decided on the Audience 82s. That line was just replaced by the Excite line. I preferred the Silk dome tweeter of the Danes after a long loud session along with the bass control.

I hope you get to listen to both. Play the same tracks of your own and make sure it is with similar gear.

EDIT-this is not where my reply was meant but rather a direct reply to the OP.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    As much as i would hate to spend my hard earned dollar on french gear i'd still take the focal's over the b&w's.
    I lol'd...frikken hilarious...that is absolutely sig-worthy....
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information