Thread: Paging 3-LB

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Paging 3-LB

Hey Three. I seem to recall you saying that Beardfish's Sleeping In Traffic Pt. 2 wasn't very good. But I've been spinning it this afternoon and am quite enjoying it. Granted it's not as quirky or Zappa-esque as Pt. 1...it's more straightforward, vanilla, prog...but it's got some very nice parts. I still need to spend more time with it, but I was wondering what it was about it that you didn't like.

heh heh...you said "paging"

I think its too jammy. Its is more akin to older Swedish style prog than the Pt1, but what I liked about Pt1 is missing from Pt2, and perhaps more important, alot of modern prog, and that's an element of blues rock. No, I'm not a big blues fan, but a lot of '70s prog had that blues element flowing through it to varying degrees. Modern prog is nearly devoid of it. Satellite is a group that's bringing that back to a minor degree, and Crystal Caravan to major degree.

Yes, Sleeping In Traffic Pt2 has some lovely prog parts in it, and so did The Sane Day - I pretty much call the album Sane Day Pt2. So its not that it isn't good, it just ain't my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    heh heh...you said "paging"

I think its too jammy. Its is more akin to older Swedish style prog than the Pt1, but what I liked about Pt1 is missing from Pt2, and perhaps more important, alot of modern prog, and that's an element of blues rock. No, I'm not a big blues fan, but a lot of '70s prog had that blues element flowing through it to varying degrees. Modern prog is nearly devoid of it. Satellite is a group that's bringing that back to a minor degree, and Crystal Caravan to major degree.

Yes, Sleeping In Traffic Pt2 has some lovely prog parts in it, and so did The Sane Day - I pretty much call the album Sane Day Pt2. So its not that it isn't good, it just ain't my bag.
    I know, I meant to say Pagan but sometimes my fingers go on autopilot.

Okay, I hear you. Part 1 is definately a superior album to Pt. 2. But, based on your previous comments, I expected this to be real dreck...and it ain't.

I hear splashes of some more modern bands in here. Parts of South of the Border is reminding me a lot of Of Montreal. And, I can't remember exactly where, but I heard a little of The Decemberists in here too. Weird.

but a lot of '70s prog had that blues element flowing through it to varying degrees. Modern prog is nearly devoid of it.
    That could be said for rock music in general.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I know, I meant to say Pagan but sometimes my fingers go on autopilot.
    Okay, I hear you. Part 1 is definately a superior album to Pt. 2. But, based on your previous comments, I expected this to be real dreck...and it ain't.

I hear splashes of some more modern bands in here. Parts of South of the Border is reminding me a lot of Of Montreal. And, I can't remember exactly where, but I heard a little of The Decemberists in here too. Weird.
    Must...

resist....

Can not..

speak...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Parts of South of the Border is reminding me a lot of Of Montreal.

could it have been the subject matter

could it have been the subject matter

LMAO! I just read the lyrics. OMG! That's too funny. I was gonna mention the Scissor Sisters in my post too, but left it at Of Montreal. They even used the title of the Scissor Sisters last CD in the song, Ta-Dah. So maybe its not a coincidence.

Thread Information