Thread: crossovers??

Forum Regular

crossovers??

im unsure about this one, im upgrading to a new receiver, Kenwood 7060, and heres me question, the towers for the front have a freq response of 35-35khz, i would like to limit the low end to 35hz to conserve them a little bit, can the receiver itself to that or would i need crossovers of some sort to do this? if i need Xovers, what to get, how much to pay roughly? can i build my own? how so?
    To BOOM..
    Or not to BOOM...
    There is no question

Good day eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01
    im unsure about this one, im upgrading to a new receiver, Kenwood 7060, and heres me question, the towers for the front have a freq response of 35-35khz, i would like to limit the low end to 35hz to conserve them a little bit, can the receiver itself to that or would i need crossovers of some sort to do this? if i need Xovers, what to get, how much to pay roughly? can i build my own? how so?
    Sorry Marty, I just couldn't resist!

To the subject at hand...

I happen to have the Kenwood VR6070 which is the same as the 7060 except for the THX but that wont affect what you are doing here. I read the manual and cannot find any hard evidence on where the x-over occurs but I'm sure it's there somewhere. Most likely it's in the setup menu where you program the size of the different speakers you have ie. small, normal and large. I believe the large setting will not induce the x-over on the mains(full range) and the small and normal would see something around 80-100Hz cut but once again, theres nothing in the manual to confirm this. You'll probably have to contact Kenwood for the specifics. I will tell you there's no receiver out there that I know of that will induce a low cut at 35Hz. The lowest I've seen is 60-70Hz on some of the more expensive units(Uh-huh-huh-huh he said unit).

As far as building your own, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are use to doing such things. To do it right would intale a fair amount of money in parts and a little research and knowledge about your woofers and while it is possible to aquire such info, the benefit usually doesn't outway the time and cost. The capacitors and inductors requires are so large when filtering that low, it wouldn't suprise me if the parts would run you $100-$150Us per speaker(for passive). Now if you have bi-amp capablilty, you could build or buy an active x-over that would do the job which would be less work but your still talkinga couple hundred dollars and the need of an additional amp to run the woofers. Now if you want to explore the idea of raising the x-over from 35Hz to say 80Hz, the possibilities begin to open up and cost begins to come down for a passive setup. Do a web search for "crossover simulators" and plug in the Theil/Small specs on the woofers(if you can get them) and the x-over points and see what happens. After you get some idea as top the values of the components required, go here...

http://partsexpress.com/

and do some shopping. I personally prefer the added bass from the mains and the sub(s) combined for all my listening content. Try it, you might like it!

BTW, I think you'll simply love that receiver! Not one problem with mine going on 3yrs now and I've given it a real workout!
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular
    thanks hehe, good laught too.. only reason im not really ito the idea of going to 80hz for X-overs is i dont have a sub plugged into the system yet.. once i do get that i just ight go that route though.. and i see what your saying, might not be worth the money since i baugh the speakers used... would cost me more for the blasted xovers to save the speakers in the loooong run.. ( he he he he.. he said loong) anyways.. glad to hear you never had a problem with your receiver.. it does seem like the bes i can get for the cash at hand.. thanks for the help
    To BOOM..
    Or not to BOOM...
    There is no question

Suspended
    Does this reciever have preamp/bypass loops on the back? I mean, that does it have like 'front pre out' with shorting loops/straps going to 'front pre in' jacks? If so, you can simply throuw a pro gear active crossover in this loop and feed the hi-pass to the front pre-in jacks and feed the low pass to the subwoofer. However, not many recievers have this bypassable loop.

-Chris

Thread Information