Forum Regular

65 inch needed lcd or dlp?

I am replacing a ten year old 60inch so I will need at least a 65 inch. I sit 17 feet away from the TV. I know for dlp only the Mits is available, but I am not familiar with LCD yet.

any recommendations which way to go? which has the better picture for blue ray and HD from DISH? Not too concerned about price I know dlp will be cheaper. also I have a large window in the living room but of course do have a shade for it

thanks to all

Thicker eyeglasses?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

The primary reason for choosing DLP over LCD would be price. If the higher price of the LCD is acceptable, you will likely prefer it to the DLP and you won't have to replace lamps. I have heard of people who actually prefer some characteristics of the DLP picture over LCD, so you might want to go look at them in person and look especially for picture detail and contrast...areas where DLP is supposed to be good...I'm assuming though, the LCD would be better...unless we're talking about rear-projection LCD. In that case, my understanding is DLP would be better in those areas.

Cool

DLP has a better pic, but is more mechanical and therefore more likely to breakdown.
    But if that doesnt bother you, or teh increased thickness, then it is a bargain.
    BUT LCD is most reliable overall, and with an adaptive backlight(over three grand)
    the pic is quite amazing.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

DLP has a big price advantage in that size configuration. The disadvantages of DLP are the viewing angle, the relative bulk of the cabinet, somewhat lower reliability, and the need to periodically replace the bulb. Also, Mitsubishi in particular has had reliability issues in recent years. Samsung still makes DLP TVs, so you could look into those as well.

65" LCDs are much more expensive, but they are wall-mountable and the picture quality has improved compared to a couple of years ago.

At 65", you should also look into plasmas since they typically have a price advantage over LCDs in the larger sizes, and will offer up IMO better overall picture quality at comparable price ranges.

And since you're looking at a 17' distance between the seat and the screen, you should also look into front projectors.

Ideally, you should do your comparisons in a store that has lighting conditions more comparable to what you have at home. When doing subjective comparisons, you want to set the color levels, brightness, sharpness, etc. as comparably as possible. The default settings on different TVs can vary drastically. Generally, demo TVs have the brightness and sharpness settings way above where they should be, and while that can stand out in a brightly lit big box store, those same settings will also look like crap in your living room.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thread Information