Forum Regular

What is the low pass and phase switch for on my sub and should they be set?

I recently purchased a Energy ESW-8 sub and a Polk Audio PSW110 sub. Even though I love my Energy C-100 speakers I prefer the Polk sub over the Energy sub so I decided to keep the Polk and send back the Energy and it sounds great but I still DO NOT know what these features are for ( the manual does not provide such info).I was also a little curious as to where most people set there volume on ther sub.

The low pass limits the frequencies the sub will play. Adjust as necessary to make it sound seamless with the speakers. If you go too high, the direction of the sound will be obvious. You'll be able to hear sound from exactly in the direction of the sub. If you go too low, you will miss some of the frequencies just below what the speakers can play. You might want to start at around 60 to 80 Hz.

The phase switch is a more complex topic, but suffice it to say...leave the switch in the position that provides stronger bass if you can hear a difference between the two. It serves to correct a mismatch of the speakers and the sub.

Also make sure your getting fair reproduction from the LCR as some of frequencies above 80 to 90 to 100 and 110 can provide a good feeling sensation.

The phase between LCR when merged with sub might produce a few dips or a little time delay for LCR might bring up the dip to smoother response. You really need spectrum analyzer to see the results a SPL db metre might be miles off.

Forum Regular
    Thanx a bunch guys ! You guys are a great help to a novice like me.

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    What is the low pass and phase switch for on my sub and should they be set?
    As the term implies "low pass" allows the low frequencies to pass through while filtering above a certain frequency. A crossover. Conversely, many AV receivers have "high pass" filters for the satellites. They work similarly but in the opposite direction.

The phase switch deals with time. You want all frequencies in a speaker to be radiated in the same time frame. My full range electrostats are inherently in phase because there is a single driver to handle the entire range. Most speakers, however, use multiple drivers that must be coordinated. The challenge is to ensure that the sub matches the phase of the satellite. You want all the drivers moving forward at the same time.

You'll need to experiment both with level and phase. Ideally, you would have a sound pressure meter (like the cheap Radio Shack model) and a test CD to help you out.

rw

Thread Information