Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Maybe this is how the music industry should work?

Got tuned into a pretty niftly little band over the last few weeks.

I was sitting at home watching some TV, a car commercial of a snazzy new Lincoln, when I heard a great cover of a guilty pleasure of mine (I'm a sucker for catchy 80's new wave-ish pop tunes)...so on come Major Tom, which I remember as a sort of one-hit wonder from some german dude named Peter Schilling, could be off on that.

I liked the car enough to check out the Ford site and lo and behold, they're giving the tune away for free!
    http://www.lincoln.com/extras/tvads....TVAds_20090408

So I discover this group called Shiny Toy Guns, went to their website, and even ordered a CD, and I haven't stopped listening to it all week. Nothing ground breaking, but some good indie (can't believe I just said that)/new wavy stuff.

Who says giving songs away for free doesn't work? Ha.

And who says American car companies do nothing for nobody

Cool car commercial too:
    Last edited by kexodusc; 04-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Suspended
    I would surely buy more music if I could properly sample it. I just ordered a free Marillion Sampler from their website this morning.

42 Regular
    One of my favorite releases so far this year is from a band that couldn't get signed to a deal, The Boxer Rebellion. So they took their album-in-the-can to iTunes, who offered it up for download only. It's 256 kps AAC, DRM-free, and only $5.99.

I like that business model. Half the price of a CD, and the band prolly gets a bigger cut. Makes sense to me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Got tuned into a pretty niftly little band over the last few weeks.

I was sitting at home watching some TV, a car commercial of a snazzy new Lincoln, when I heard a great cover of a guilty pleasure of mine (I'm a sucker for catchy 80's new wave-ish pop tunes)...so on come Major Tom, which I remember as a sort of one-hit wonder from some german dude named Peter Schilling, could be off on that.

I liked the car enough to check out the Ford site and lo and behold, they're giving the tune away for free!
    http://www.lincoln.com/extras/tvads....TVAds_20090408

So I discover this group called Shiny Toy Guns, went to their website, and even ordered a CD, and I haven't stopped listening to it all week. Nothing ground breaking, but some good indie (can't believe I just said that)/new wavy stuff.

Who says giving songs away for free doesn't work? Ha.

And who says American car companies do nothing for nobody

Cool car commercial too.
    Hey, I'll have to check that out. That commercial has caught my ears too. I used to have that Peter Schilling album (you got the name right). It wasn't half bad if I remember correctly. Had a cool German version of Silent Night (yep, the Christmas tune).

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

welcome to the shiny toy guns band wagon - welcome aboard - stay as long as you like - enjoy the flash backs and make sure to smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    One of my favorite releases so far this year is from a band that couldn't get signed to a deal, The Boxer Rebellion. So they took their album-in-the-can to iTunes, who offered it up for download only. It's 256 kps AAC, DRM-free, and only $5.99.
    I hate fargin iTunes. Is there any other way to buy this band?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...so on come Major Tom, which I remember as a sort of one-hit wonder from some german dude named Peter Schilling, could be off on that.

He had a second, minor tune that got worked into an Erasure-like dance remix...

On topic, or perhaps a less conventional take on the topic, I reiterate my age-old stance on freebies by pointing that I have at minimum a thousand discs purchased as a result of the compilations from 'round this place. So, yeah, mebbe there's somethin' to that give-a-little-to-get-a-little concept.

Thread Information