Thread: Dialogue Norm

has a cool job Registered Member barsntone's Avatar

Dialogue Norm

Hey not sure where this should go cos i dont know anything much about it and it doesnt appear to be a terribly easy thing to google.

been remapping adio tracks to encode dolby ladida. Scary seein how i know NOTHING about audio and yes this is my job. I get paid to do this.

Was doin this happily and pretending to no what i was doing and somehow was succesful at getting the whole 5.1 thing on the movies and having all the right stuff on the right tracks. woot. (yeh u lot think experts do all the adio for your movies - not tru)

but then one day someone (a QA guy i suppose) said something was wrong and someone investigated and it turned out someone had changed a setting on some peice of equipment. the setting was the dialogue norm and it was supposed to be set at -27db but was something else so something was wrong with the audio for a couple of days till it was picked up.

anyone got some insider knowledge on what dialogue norm is exactly.

It's the reference point for absolute audio level settings in theater reproduction. I think it is supposed to represent the difference between "normal dialog level" and the loudest thing in the movie.

Cool

What it is on my receiver is a way to increase dialog so that it is as loud as everything else, so that you can hear people talking over the exploding helicopters.
    Not quite sure tho, havent messed with it in awhile.
    "Dialog norm" pops up for a sec whenever I crank it on, so I know its on.
    I WILL look it up when I get time.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    "Dialog Normal" or normalization is also part of the ATSC television standard. TV stations send a certain "Dial.Norm"setting which is decoded in the receiver. However not all send the same. Two of my local stations send Dial.Norm 6 dB lower than the other stations, so the television receiver adjusts the volume down accordingly. Nothing I can do about it except complain and manually adjust the volume up and down, what Dialog Normalization is supposed to take care of.

Some good info is here...

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/m...OLBYSRDFAQ.pdf

Thread Information