Suspended

It's officially Spring - The Outdoor Speakers are up

What a beautiful day here in the east. Sunny skies and going close to 75.

The first outdoor project was to get the speakers up and playing in order to enjoy the rest of the time cleaning up the patio and furniture.

The very first thing my neighbors are getting to enjoy is "Neo Prog - Sampler 1" by Demetrio.

This disk is several years old and I must never had given it a fair chance when I received it. Not that I didn't spin it or enjoy it, it just never made it into steady rotation. Recently, I have just been grabbing blindly off the rack for morning drive to work tunes. Yesterday, I picked Neo Prog and by the time only the second song, Kayleigh by Marillion, was over I was hooked and thoroughly enjoying this gem all over again. Obviously, this disk is a few years old and several of you have already made your way through some of these bands, but if you don't have any of Demetrio's Prog samplers, doesn't matter what series, you need to request some.

Is the rest of the album Kayleigh similar? What are the recommended Marillion disks?

Other bands on this comp include:
    Syep Ahead, IQ, Pendragon, Pallis, Jadis and several more.

Yeah, it hit about 76 degrees in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    What a beautiful day here in the east. Sunny skies and going close to 75.

The first outdoor project was to get the speakers up and playing in order to enjoy the rest of the time cleaning up the patio and furniture.

The very first thing my neighbors are getting to enjoy is "Neo Prog - Sampler 1" by Demetrio.

This disk is several years old and I must never had given it a fair chance when I received it. Not that I didn't spin it or enjoy it, it just never made it into steady rotation. Recently, I have just been grabbing blindly off the rack for morning drive to work tunes. Yesterday, I picked Neo Prog and by the time only the second song, Kayleigh by Marillion, was over I was hooked and thoroughly enjoying this gem all over again. Obviously, this disk is a few years old and several of you have already made your way through some of these bands, but if you don't have any of Demetrio's Prog samplers, doesn't matter what series, you need to request some.

Is the rest of the album Kayleigh similar? What are the recommended Marillion disks?

Other bands on this comp include:
    Syep Ahead, IQ, Pendragon, Pallis, Jadis and several more.
    I was going to get my TR8 on the road but decided to hold off because we're looking for some rain and cold weather on Monday, Tuesday and Wed. this week, so I guess I'll wait a few more weeks until the last of this crap is past us.

As for 'outdoor' speakers, mine stay outside year round, so I don't need to do anything special. Is there some reason you bring yours inside during the winter. I got mine on e-bay and they were really cheap, and I mean really cheap, but they actually sound pretty good for casual listening on our patio, and I can crank them up pretty good if I wish, but I generally keep them reasonable since we abut a park and I don't want to attract attention.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish

As for 'outdoor' speakers, mine stay outside year round, so I don't need to do anything special. Is there some reason you bring yours inside during the winter. I got mine on e-bay and they were really cheap, and I mean really cheap, but they actually sound pretty good for casual listening on our patio, and I can crank them up pretty good if I wish, but I generally keep them reasonable since we abut a park and I don't want to attract attention.
    I don't equate Indoor-Outdoor with "Last forever in all conditions". My outdoor speakers are Athena AS-06s and sound fabulous positioned the way I have them mounted up against the house under a covered patio. Gives a reverse amphitheater effect. I don't sit outside and listen to them in the winter so I just take them down and store them inside so I will get more years out of them. I believe I paid close to $150 for them so replacement every several years is not an option for me.

I paid a meager $30 on e-bay for mine...

I don't equate Indoor-Outdoor with "Last forever in all conditions". My outdoor speakers are Athena AS-06s and sound fabulous positioned the way I have them mounted up against the house under a covered patio. Gives a reverse amphitheater effect. I don't sit outside and listen to them in the winter so I just take them down and store them inside so I will get more years out of them. I believe I paid close to $150 for them so replacement every several years is not an option for me.
    ...to replace a pair I bought years earlier for much more, but they were quite a disappointment. In all seriousness, the new ones sound way better than $30, especially for outdoors. We have a daylight basement with tiled patio outside it and a large deck above it, so they are someone protected from the elements. I like to sit on the patio in the evening with a nice glass of beer or wine while listening to a ton of tunes.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I got a few of D's prog samplers. Of all the bands I've heard, the ones that stuck with me are Massachusettes trio Yoke Shire (their debut, Masque Of Shadows, is fuckin killer), Ritual (I have most of theirs and I wouldn't call them neo), Kaipa and the afore mentioned Jadis. Of all the second wave neo-prog bands, I like Jadis the most, and they're not really a second wave band. Band's like Pallas, Pendragon, and IQ run together for me. The only IQ album I consistantly reach for is Seventh House. I've owned, and traded, CDs from Pallas and Pendragon. Don't need to hear anymore.

As for instrumetal a stuff, D turned me onto Gordion Knot*, who only put out two album, but included guest appearences of the likes of Trey Gunn, Bill Bruford, John Myung, Steve hackett and others. King Crimsonish instrumentals without Fripp's weirdness.

One act I've yet to look into from D's Prog samplers is Timothy Pure - I haven't heard a bad track from him.

As far as Ritual and Kaipa, their middle period album are nearly interchangble, as they share two or three band members twixt them, including lead singer. The first and last Ritual albums are my fave albums of the last decade - period.

*or was it you?!? I know you had the Bruford comp...
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 04-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Of all the bands I've heard, the ones that stuck with me are Massachusettes trio Yoke Shire (their debut, Masque Of Shadows, is fuckin killer),

*or was it you?!? I know you had the Bruford comp...
    No, I was the Bruford guy, not Knot. I have wanted to sample more of Yokeshire before buying but cant seem to find samples anywhere. Not even a Youtube video. Is the rest of the music similar to Shape of a Dancer? That is one of my bass test tracks but the only tune by them I have.

I'm really enjoying Marillion!

Marillion is really hit or miss with me, and its hard to recommend any album because they've gone through so many stages musically - which songs are you listening to?

Yoke Shire has three albums out, spaced about four years apart. The first one is da bomb. The other two are a big disappointment to me.

Here's an DPRP review. I normally don't rely on reviews, as so many prog bands get slagged, but this is a prog fanboy site, which means I usually take the reviews with a grain of salt: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/0003.htm#yokeshire

Myself, I'm reminded of Thin Lizzy when I hear it. But the album rocks. I think it endures because the album centers around song craft and is not a virtuoso platform like so much prog and metal. This not by the way, a metal album.

Suspended
    Marillion is really hit or miss with me, and its hard to recommend any album because they've gone through so many stages musically - which songs are you listening to?
    I downloaded a few torrents to sample. Script for a Jester's Tear which I like. I also downloaded one that does not appear on their site called Kayleigh which has Grendel, Lavender, Kayleigh and several others. May have been a mix disk someone put up. I'm diggin both of these. Grendel is a rip of Suppers Ready near the end but so what, not enough of this type of songs out there.

Well then, you've been listening to Fish (the lead singer) era Marillion, and those last few songs you listed, Kayleigh and Lavender, are from the album Misplaced Childhood. I don't know where Grendel comes from. This era of Marillion was very much a Genesis tribute of sorts. After the Gabriel sound-alike Fish left the band, the guitarist Steve Hogarth took over, and the band took a turn away from traditional prog for the more brooding side rock, namely melodic atmospheric mood pop ala Talk Talk. I actually like latter day Marillion than the Fish era.

Would you like some samples? If I could give you some advise, don't too hard to get into latter-day Marillion until you've had your fill of the older stuff, because you wouldn't recognize the new stuff.

Suspended
    Well then, you've been listening to Fish (the lead singer) era Marillion, and those last few songs you listed, Kayleigh and Lavender, are from the album Misplaced Childhood. I don't know where Grendel comes from. This era of Marillion was very much a Genesis tribute of sorts. After the Gabriel sound-alike Fish left the band, the guitarist Steve Hogarth took over, and the band took a turn away from traditional prog for the more brooding side rock, namely melodic atmospheric mood pop ala Talk Talk. I actually like latter day Marillion than the Fish era.

Would you like some samples? If I could give you some advise, don't too hard to get into latter-day Marillion until you've had your fill of the older stuff, because you wouldn't recognize the new stuff.
    Here is the track list from Kayleigh which does not appear on their website as a release. Looks to be a mix.
    Kayleigh - Marillion [1996]

Track Listings
    [01] Grendel (17:16)
    [02] He knows you know (05:22)
    [03] Jigsaw (06:50)
    [04] Punch and Judy (03:22)
    [05] Cinderella search (04:22) (Edited)
    [06] Kayleigh (03:32) (Single)
    [07] Lavender (03:40) (Single)
    [08] Lady Nina (03:43) (Edited)
    [09] Torch song (04:05)

prolly a fanclub thing, or its just a comp someone threw together - all '80s stuff, none of which I have. I have mostly '90s and beyond.

What kinda internet you gots? DSL? Cable? T4 fiber optic?

Suspended
    prolly a fanclub thing, or its just a comp someone threw together - all '80s stuff, none of which I have. I have mostly '90s and beyond.

What kinda internet you gots? DSL? Cable? T4 fiber optic?
    I have DSL. I still prefer real over MP3 no matter what anyone claims about quality.

I have figured out how to make MP3s sound reasonable......

Play them thru $15k worth of gear

I have DSL. I still prefer real over MP3 no matter what anyone claims about quality.
    Oh, yer preachin to the choir...I don't mind samples being MP3, that way there's no investment, if I like I'll get it on CD.

But with DSL, it might take you a day to download a CDs worth of tunes.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I got a few of D's prog samplers. Of all the bands I've heard, the ones that stuck with me are Massachusettes trio Yoke Shire (their debut, Masque Of Shadows, is fuckin killer)...[/I]
    Oh man! That's a disk that I haven't though about in ages. It's a good one. D sent me a copy and I had it in regular rotation for a long, long time. I'll have to dig it out again.

New hardwood floors are being installed in May. Then we'll finally be able to buy and set up new shelving and get all my disks out of boxes finally!!! They've been stored for almost a year now and the day they get unpacked the neighbours are gonna hear what kinda people moved into the neighbourhood.

Installation of outdoor speakers are on the list for this summer too.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh man! That's a disk that I haven't though about in ages.
    Yeah, I've had several of those samplers spinning again. Always a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Installation of outdoor speakers are on the list for this summer too.
    Where will you place them? Ground or wall? What are your options so far?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Where will you place them? Ground or wall? What are your options so far?
    Too soon to tell. We have a lot of clearing weeds and landscaping to do first.

I received some Cambridge outdoor 62's as a gift a couple of years ago, still haven't put them up. Even bought a couple of Marantz m-500 monoblocks to drive them. Still sitting in the box too. I'm motivated to the point where this year - I'll get them set up! Thanks for the inspiration.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I'm gettin' a coupla Advents in a little while. Pretty good deal....Just lookin' forward to playin' the tunes widdout openin' the winders and drivin' out the neighborhood or gettin' somebody to call the cops...(Hey, I'm channelling here, okay?)

HiFi -Sorry to hijack the thread, but your mailbox is full so I can't send a PM.

The Keith Emerson tour has been cancelled due to some hand injury, major bummer for me, hopefully he'll heal and reschedule.
    http://newears.wordpress.com/2009/05...our-cancelled/

Suspended
    Son of a Bi@#tch!!!

This is the second canceled show for me this year. Les Dudek canceled earlier but rescheduled for summer. I may reconsider the rescheduled show now since it won't conflict with the Emerson show.

Thanks for the bad news. I cleared out my box.

You would think they would post this on his "Official Website" huh?

Thread Information