42 Regular

Ezra Furman & the Harpoons

I really think a lot of you guys would like these guys...

http://ezrafurman.com/

Seriously.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I listened to the first few songs yesterday and really liked what I heard, especially that first Cramps-esque, Rock-a-billy number. Thanks for the link.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

42 Regular
    Thanks for the pity-click, ELT.

I haven't picked up their recent disc yet, but my buddy at work has been playing it plenty and it all sounds pretty good to me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

You are actually right, I'd be surprised if an album like this didn't do well around these parts. Loose alt-country similar to Old '97s or Wilco, verging on indie rock - not twangy enough to compare to the likes of an Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown or Drive By Truckers.

Sparce arrangements - has that sound of being recorded in-studio without overdubs, or its just a small bar with sedate patrons, which is the only way to listen to band like this really. The lead singer has that frenetic, barely-contained-energy quality that I'd usually associate more with indie rock than alt-country, since his voice doesn't have that strained, rural, world weary Steve Earl quality that many alt-country bands of the '90s and '00s have.

I was actually thinking early Modest Mouse on some of those tracks, and as I read further into their bio, the producer for their albums was the same guy who worked with Modest Mouse, Brian Deck.

42 Regular
    I just read that they've been added to the Lollapalooza lineup, which is looking fairly interesting overall. The headliners are no big deal to me, but the second-tier acts are looking pretty cool.

http://2009.lollapalooza.com/
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

42 Regular
    I think their web site makes them sound more alt.country than they really are, actually. My overall impression is more like Violent Femmes meet Willie Nile.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information