To buy or not to buy

that is the question. I can buy a refurb Marantz 5 disc changer (CC4001) for less than 1/2 price. Right now I have a Sony DVD player (NC85H) running thru a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. Would the Maranrz player improve sound quality, if so, would I bypass the DAC and use it's analog outputs? Thanks!

Suspended
    Using each unit into the Cambridge they should sound about the same. I can't say whether the 4001 internal DAC would make any improvement over the Cambridge DAC. My guess is I doubt if there would be much gain. I do suspect the 4001 will have a different sound though, a bit warmer. If the Sony is a good transport and you aren't happy with the Cambridge maybe consider upgrading to another DAC.

Thank you Mr.P. I appreciate and value your opinion (I've read your responses before on this forum, and have always found them to be educated, honest and objective). I do appreciate your sharing of your experience, which I am totally lacking, I've always enjoyed Audio, but limited to the big box store,( I really can't afford much beyond that) until the past couple of years, when I bought a PC and found there are better choices online. I am happy with the Cambridge, from what you're saying, I take it would be more of a matter of taste than improvement? Which still kind of appeals to me. A new toy! I live in a town, where your only audio choice is a big box store. No where here would I be able to listen to a DAC. If I asked, I know I would get that deer in the headlight look, not to make fun of them, because just a year ago I would have had that same look.

If you consider the price of the Marantz and of the Cambridge DAC, the Cambridge should easily outperform the DAC in the Marantz. I would keep the Sony unless you want the extra features of the Marantz such as 5 CD capacity & the ability to read mp3 (although your Sony DVD can probably do that too).

Thanks, RR, my Sony is a 5 disc changer, and it does read MP3, So if anything,it sounds as if it would take me a step backwards. Thanks, again, you may have saved me from "buyer's remorse".

Suspended
    If you ever did want to experiment with another DAC online sources such as www.amusicdirect.com offer a 30 return policy if not happy with the purchase.

Thanks, for the compliment.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I don't know what condition the items that you are buying are in, but if they're not new, might as well buy something new for the same price at this site i found 2inch24.com i think they are a small company because whenever i call, the same two people answer the phone. i call them to see if i can get some deals on whatever i wanna buy. generally they cut me some deal, even if it's just free shipping. :-)

Thread Information