Boatman1

Talking Bose 601 series 1

I just picked up a set of Bose 601s and all the surrounds are rotted but every thing works.
    Question; are they worth repairing and keeping or should I fix and sell them, I don't know
    any thing about the direct reflecting system, running them on a Realistic STA 2000, also
    a set of Mach ones. Music only.
    thanks.

They're worth the price of new surrounds. From there you can decide if you want to sell 'em or keep 'em. You should be able to at east recoup the cost of the surrounds.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would repair them and enjoy them. For the cost of the surrounds for the 4 woofers you would have some enjoyable speakers. Great with classical.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

If the cabinets are in good shape i'd say they're keepers, I think the older Bose 601's are their best .....series 1 through 3.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Boatman1
    Hi guys, thanks for your input, but what I'm wondering is, does the Bose direct reflect system sound any good? I like good separation in my music, and a good clean thump.
    thanks

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatman1
    Hi guys, thanks for your input, but what I'm wondering is, does the Bose direct reflect system sound any good? I like good separation in my music, and a good clean thump.
    thanks

If you were at a classical concert and you closed your eyes without the visual cues the sound would not have pinpoint imaging. Bose tends to present sound in much the same way. The use of direct and reflected sound to give the spaciousness of a concert hall. Some recordings I enjoy on Bose speakers but others I prefer on my current speakers. If I had the room I would enjoy having the 601's to play those occasional recordings that would sound good. Some like the spaciousness of Bose speakers and only want them. As always to each his own.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Boatman1
    Thanks JohnMichael

I own a pair of 601series II I refoamed them 2 yrs ago I use em as rear surrounds to my 901VI fronts luv em!! Bought both pairs new in "81"& 2002

Boatman1
    I thought because of there wide dispersion, the 901 or 601s didn't show good separation
    for home theater.

Thread Information