Headphone amp question.

I have a coworker who is trying to improve the sound he is getting from his headphones. I don't know too much about headphones. Can anyone give me options to tell him? Here is his question. (as received)

"I bought a new set of headphones for work, they sound really good, they’re full spectrum whatever that means, but they go from 10 Hz to 27khz. Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so the sound I get without maxing out the equalizer is very faded out, not loud at all, do you know anything I can between the headphone jack of the computer and my headphones to make it louder, possibly boost the bass. Software amps simply up the eq settings and make everything sound loud and distorted."
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I see the Behringer MicroAmp HA400 on line. Anyone know if this is a decent unit?
    http://bsless.stores.yahoo.net/ha400.html
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

More deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I see the Behringer MicroAmp HA400 on line. Anyone know if this is a decent unit?
    http://bsless.stores.yahoo.net/ha400.html
    A slightly more up-market solution would be something like this Total BitHead from HeadRoom that includes its own USB DAC as well as head amp.

Tell him to get an Apple iPod.
    Onkyo P304 M504 pre/power combo.
    Systemdek 2X2 turntable RB 300 Arm Origin live modified
    Denon CD player (to be upgraded as soon as I have more cash)
    Sonus Faber Minuetto Speakers Bi-wired on Sonus Faber stands (Brilliant)
    Kimber 4 TC speaker cable
    Cord Cobra 3 Interconnects.

Whoa! Did I mention that this guy is cheap? And thinks that Bose is the best thing he's ever heard?

Whoa! Did I mention that this guy is cheap? And thinks that Bose is the best thing he's ever heard?
    Thou gets what thou payest for.

I agree. But we're talking weakest link here. Will he be able to utilize all $160 worth of that amp with his $20 headphones?

I agree. But we're talking weakest link here. Will he be able to utilize all $160 worth of that amp with his $20 headphones?
    Probably will not be able to utilize all $160 worth of amp.

It sounds as well if he isn't allowed to touch the sound setting on his PC at work he might also be locked out of installing any new applications which a USB DAC would probably need.

Sounds to be he better learn to like music at a low volume.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Probably will not be able to utilize all $160 worth of amp.

It sounds as well if he isn't allowed to touch the sound setting on his PC at work he might also be locked out of installing any new applications which a USB DAC would probably need.

Sounds to be he better learn to like music at a low volume.
    Well I won't say "sound settings" based on what he said ...

Quote Originally Posted by GM's buddy
    ... Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so ...
    So that would seem to permit select "USB audio device" for Sound and Audio Devices.

But anyway, sounds like $160 is too much.

I have a coworker who is trying to improve the sound he is getting from his headphones. I don't know too much about headphones. Can anyone give me options to tell him? Here is his question. (as received)

"I bought a new set of headphones for work, they sound really good, they’re full spectrum whatever that means, but they go from 10 Hz to 27khz. Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so the sound I get without maxing out the equalizer is very faded out, not loud at all, do you know anything I can between the headphone jack of the computer and my headphones to make it louder, possibly boost the bass. Software amps simply up the eq settings and make everything sound loud and distorted."
    Maybe he bought an honest-to-goodness decent pair of headphones and now doesn't have enough power to drive them. Maybe what he needs is a decent set of ear buds.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hey.

If he really doesn't want to spend much (and only wants to make it louder), he could probably A) Buy a CMoy off eBay for ~$35 or B) buy a Boostaroo for ~$30.

Either way it'll be louder, but a CMoy can probably be custom-ordered with a certain gain (voltage multiplier of the input to output) so that it'll be loud enough off of his computer.

I built my CMoy about 8 months ago (modified to add bass boost) and it works well for me.

-Me

He ended up going with an external USB solution.

Thanks everyone.

Amplifier Compatible with Laptop/PC?

I bought a little amp that is compatible with my laptop so I would imagine it would work for a PC too. Easy, plugs into computer outlet without software/configuring issues. I bought theFubarIII at SoundAdditions.com. Hope this helps, dude!

Suspended
    What would anyone expect from $20 headphones? A pair of Grado 125s will be in order but he would actually have to fork up some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    What would anyone expect from $20 headphones? A pair of Grado 125s will be in order but he would actually have to fork up some cash.
    He just wants it loud. (and to be able to think that his equipment is almost as good as Bose)
    I've given up trying to get him to see the light. I just nudge him in the right direction and hope for the best.

Forum Regular
    Keep nudging him to find the money to purchase a decent headphone amp.Two I would highly recommend is the "Lambda" from Z-Audio or one from Little Dot.He could check the used amp forum over at Headfi.Plus, a very nice sounding pair of very affordable headphones is the Sennheiser px-100..usually under $45 bucks at Amazon.I personally love them and I'm a Grado guy at heart !
    Nad c270 amp
    Yamaha ax 700 integrated amp

Onkyo p304 preamp
    Adcom gfp 555 preamp
    Polk Monitor 30 speakers 2 pairs
    Polk Monitor 40 speakers
    Z-Audio Lambda headphone amp
    Little Dot MK III tube headphone amp/preamp

Sennheiser px100 headphones
    Tara Labs prism 33i interconnects
    Various Cable Pro cables

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

here's a place to look

...regards...tr

Go here for all headphone info. These people live, eat and breathe headphones and everything that goes with them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

Thread Information