Forum Regular

Reciever Problems

Hello Guys new here. Im assuming i should post my prolem here as the recievers i have are a bit older. One is a Kenwood VR-307, and the other is a Sony STR-DE445.
    I had bought a new powered sub a PSW-125 today. I had my VR-307 hooked up first. Everything else worked including my surround sound, however when i tried hooking up the sub to the VR-307 i couldnt get it to work. So i hooked up my Sony and sub works great. But i cant get my suround sound to work. Im assuming this is because the sony wants to hook up a the 5.1 surround sound via the specific Panel in the back. I have a 60" sony TV, Samsung upconverting DVD, Xbox 360, and Motorola comcast cable box. I have all of these hooked up to the tv via HDMI cables. Then using a single Optical out from my TV to the reciever. The sony seems to be reading the optical input fine at48hz. Is there anything i can do or am i SOL with these recievers for what im trying to do.
    Thanks guys and girls

Suspended
    Try hooking the optical to your DVD player and play a movie you know is 5.1 and see if you can get the sub to work. I've heard that digital out on TV's is only 2.0 but I'm not sure if that's all TV's. But this test should tell you if it's a problem for you unless you can tell you are alright by your Sony saying "Dolby Digital".

Welcome to the forums. I saw your other thread and thought I'd kill two birds......

Forum Regular
    Thanks. Im pretty sure it did say Dolby Digital. But ill try that anyways. Something could be loss in the translation.

Forum Regular
    Well I moved my optical directally to the comcast box and to the DVD player. And after making the selection for 5.1 it worked. Problem is i have to moved around my optical around to get surround sound and since im using the HDMI on my xbox i cant make it work on there with out downgrading my Video source from 1080p to 1080i then there is provision for the optical input. And its a pain to have to be changin around the Optical all the time. is there something i can make buy use to get this to work withmy old reciever?
    Thanks

Suspended
    If your receiver has more than one optical, or if the DVD player offers coaxial, just get another digital cable, one for each application. But if I understand your problem the cable box will only allow one digital out, correct? Unfortunately, if that's the case you either have to use component video and get 5.1 to the receiver, Your TV may upsample to 1080p any way, you might try it to see if you really see any difference in picture quality. Broadcast stations still only use 1080i or 720p, so unless you have PPV that claims 1080p, like Dishnet, you won't notice any difference from the cable box I don't think. Also, your DVD is the same way, don't actually get 1080p, it's just an upsampled signal which your TV does any way. So unless going Blu-ray you will probably not notice any difference with good component cables. Or, keep with HDMI and then you are back to square one again. If either receiver has Dolby Pro Logic 2, this setting should also allow the sub to work when receiving a 2 channel signal.

Just for future reference this type of question would go under "home theater" best.

Just something to think about, the Onkyo 606 which has all the latest decoding and fully functional HDMI can be found for around $399.00 if upgrade might be an option.

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I have one Opt and one coaxial input on my reciever so that still leaves me out on device lol. I kinda figured i needed to upgrade my reciever.

Suspended
    Neither receiver offers more than that? Bummer, especially if things are tight. But if you could upgrade, what a good excuse

Forum Regular
    Found the reciever lol $5500 pioneer 1400w lol. Oh and il post in the right section next time. Ya both reciever only offer two inputs. And with my Xbox i really wanna be able to use the HDMI. it does make a differance. I can manual change my DVD from 480, 720P to 1080i, to 1080p. and there i there isnt that much differance between 1080i and 1080p unless i have blueray far as movies go. Looks like a Reviever upgrade is in my future.. Thanks for the help. Atleast i figured a way to make it work sometimes LOL.

Thread Information