Forum Regular

new to the board...and a quick question

Hello Folks....
    I am new here to these boards....I have always loved vintage audio equipment.....I have three mix match vintage component systems of equipment ffom the late 60's to mid 80's....Miselaneous Sansui, Marantz, KLH, Kenwood, JBL and so on....I even worked in a really decent electronic shop for 5 years back in the early eighties...My problem is this and it is also my embarrasment....I built a new system recently of older stuff but i cant get the equalizer to work properly...It doesnt hook up like my other Eq.....I have a Sansui AU-717 integrated amp with two sets of tape monitors and a Teac EQA-5 dual ten band equalizer..I have the tape out on the Amp hooked to the tape line in on the EQ...and Line out on the EQ to the Tape in on the Amp....The equaliser is lighting up and meters working and i can get the tuner, tapedeak and cd player to wrk but the equalizer doesnt seem to have any effect on the sound quality....No matter how you adjust the frequency bands the sound doesnt change.....I dont have the instruction bbok for the EQ and i cant remember how to hook it up....The back of the EQ has two left and right line ins and a left and right line out and a left and right tape play and tape record left and right...Does anyone out there know the proper hookup? or happen to have one of these with a instruction booklet they came with?... I dont want to take the chance of damaging either piece of equipment...Thanks...
    paul

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Since you have two tape monitors you want to use the one that allows you to monitor a recording. Select the source and then either press the button for tape monitoring or turn the dial for tape monitoring. The signal should pass through the EQ and back through the amp to the speakers.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 03-04-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    this weekend on the web i found a guy in W. Virginia that sells original issue owners manuals for vintage equipment...I bought the one for my EQ for $8.00 and that included shipping and insurance...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by atsf359
    this weekend on the web i found a guy in W. Virginia that sells original issue owners manuals for vintage equipment...I bought the one for my EQ for $8.00 and that included shipping and insurance...
    Care to post who and a contact? I am hunting service manual for Counterpoint NPS-400.

Forum Regular
    I have bought from this guy before.very reputable....he is
    http://www.stereomanuals.com

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    If tape monitor #1 circuit on the Sansui doesn't work try #2. Be sure you have the tape monitor push buttons correct...should have tape 1, tape 2 and source buttons. Make sure you have the tape copy switch on the Sansui correct, probably should be at off (or bypass).

On your Teac make sure there is not a off/bypass switch that you have set incorrectly. Make sure you are using the in and out on the Teac and not the secondary jacks for a tape recorder (tape record and tape play).

Just noticed you say you have a tape deck. How is it hooked up? If it is a three head deck and you want to monitor recording then it should be hooked up thru the Teac using the tape record and play jacks. Otherwise it should be hooked up to either tape 1 or tape 2 on the Sansui and the Teac to the other one (with the monitor button in).

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 03-11-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Forum Regular
    Lorrie,
    Thanks for all the usefull info but now that i have the owners book i got the unit hooked up properly and everything seems to be working perfectly....Sounds great...Thanks again

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Lorrie,
    Thanks for all the usefull info

First let me apologize but ROTFLMAO.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Didn't know you went by the name 'Lorrie' RR6

Yeah, at first I couldn't figure out who he was talking about until remembered the lyrics I qouted from Lorrie Morgan. That's how I felt for awhle after my surgery.

I'll have to change that ASAP!

Lorrie,
    Thanks for all the usefull info but now that i have the owners book i got the unit hooked up properly and everything seems to be working perfectly....Sounds great...Thanks again
    I'm curious how you had it incorrectly hooked up and what you did to correct the problem?

Forum Regular
    First off, Sorry i misnamed you.....Looking back i still cant figure out where i got Lorrie from....To answer the question...I am not exactly sure how i had it hooked up because as soon as i got the owners manual i went to my system and unplugged every patch cord going to and from the equalizer not paying any attention to what and where they were...I was going to hook it up exactly as the manual said and go from there.....Everything worked perfectly first try....

No problem. I had some lyrics (that I have now changed) as my signature (at the bottom of my posts) that were written by Lorrie Morgan. You saw her name there and thought that was my name.

Glad you've got everything working correctly.

RR6

Forum Regular
    ok....cool...those lines you have up now are from Jimi Hendrix "All along the watch tower" ..I give up...Who is Robert Zimmerman?...I thought that song was written by Bob Dylan...Or is that Dylans real name?

Forum Regular
    I am reposting this here since this thread seems to be getting a lot of hits....
    I am still looking for a replacement tweety for my "vintage" ( sorry i couldnt resist) Technics SB7000a floor speakers...I am trying to find an exact replacement....I really dont want to put just anything in there...These may not be the pinacle of speaker technology by most of the members standards but they have always been favorites of mine and i want to put them back to original specs...Been looking all of the usual places online with no luck....If anyone has some inside info to where i might find one it would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    No problem. I had some lyrics (that I have now changed) as my signature (at the bottom of my posts) that were written by Lorrie Morgan. You saw her name there and thought that was my name.

Glad you've got everything working correctly.

RR6
    Thanks for clearing that up Robert.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks for clearing that up Robert.
    Oh, wise guy!

ok....cool...those lines you have up now are from Jimi Hendrix "All along the watch tower" ..I give up...Who is Robert Zimmerman?...I thought that song was written by Bob Dylan...Or is that Dylans real name?
    Yeah, Robert Zimmerman is Bob Dylan's real name. You owe it to yourself to find a copy of the original song by Dylan. Great song and then I was absolutely floored the first time I heard Jimi's cover. Usually I am somewhat disappointed in most covers. But this one by Hendrix is so different and yet such an incredible version, I never get tired of listening to it by Hendrix, or Dylan for that matter.

For all time great covers I put it right up there with Cream's cover of Crossroads.

RR6

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I'm curious how you had it incorrectly hooked up and what you did to correct the problem?
    He had a connection from tape out from the receiver to tape in on the EQ. If I remember correctly the correct connection is tape out to line in.

Hello everyone!
    I'am from Vietnam and I'm hunting the Service manual for Counterpoint NPS-400.
    Pls help me at: thanhtungdang@gmail.com
    Thank you very much!

Thread Information