I'm A Sax Fiend!

After considered study I have come up with this list of what, in my humble opinion, comprises some of the best saxophone solos in rock and roll history. I have no doubt that folks with more educated and refined ears than mine will amend the list, but this is what I have come up with so far. A few comments describing rationales for their inclusion is also provided, for those wet-behind-the-ears youngsters who aren’t aware of their presence as well as for the rest of you who value my opinion so highly (ahem).

10). Walk on the Wild Side. Classic and much revered number performed by Mr. Lou Reed and produced by David Bowie, Walk on the Wild Side’s sax solo was performed by Ronnie Ross, a Calcutta India native who tutored Bowie who went on to play the instrument on many of his best albums. The sax in this piece is sparse but succinctly beautiful, capturing all the decadence and greasy light-show freakiness that is what the song is all about.

9). One Year of Love. Queen’s ultimate love ballad. With Freddie Mercury crooning smooth as silk, Steve Gregory’s saxophone is close behind, soaking up every word and pouring out every ounce of passion. Gregory’s instrument dances in slow turns and sure steps. Beautiful, just beautiful!

8). New York State of Mind. Performed by Mark Rivera, whose sultry, urban sound deftly and able accompanies Billy Joel’s singular New York voice. Listen to the reed buzzing and close your eyes: the taxis, the hot dog stands, the steam pouring out the man-hole covers. Truly, Rivera knows everything about a New York state of mind!

7). Born to Run. Whenever Bruce Springsteen’s name comes up, this song is not far behind. The song rocks, and Clarence Clemons, along with Bruce and the rest of the E-Street bring the house and everything near it down with grand, polished and hearty form. Clemons is a powerful and accomplished performer, no mean feat for a main man on Springsteen’s line-up.

6). Your Latest Trick. Mark Knopfler took Michael Brecker’s smooth and sultry saxophone up on Brothers in Arms, an album that made adoring fans ecstatic and made true believers of those who appreciated Dire Straits’ talent but seldom recognized their raw and well-informed ability. Brecker’s saxophone is played pure and dark indigo, giving this album great weight, depth and soul.

5). Baker Street. On the first notes to pour out of this magnificent horn, Raf Ravenscroft’s solo is instantly recognizable and once impregnated in the heart of the grateful listener remains implanted for a lifetime. ‘Nuff said.

4). 5:15. Roger Daltry’s Carneigi Hall Celebration Concert. The orchestra rocks hard, and Tom Scott steps up from the right to play a solo that simply blows the house down. He wails, he screams, and absolutely slays the equally adept but handily matched trumpet who dares to introduce himself from the right. This was a magical night, and Scott’s solo is played as if by Merlin himself.

3). Over You. From Roxy Music’s Flesh and Blood, Over You is Andy Mackay’s saxophone’s chance to play hard and true. Roxy Music was all about glitz and polish, Brian Ferry’s troubadour-voice and words are echoed in grand and smooth fashion by a sax-man who gives his instrument’s voice and heart.

2). Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Pink Floyd’s tribute to the late, great Syd Barrett. Dick Parry’s saxophone is played with all the ferocity, fire, and psychedelic and blessed-out dexterity and passion that were the wonder of the Floyd and the phenomenon that shook the rock world to its core.

1). Us and Them. Parry’s signature solo. Short, sweet, and absolutely devastating.

So there you have it. My list of the top ten saxophone solos in rock and roll...

Ya gotta problem widdat?
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 03-03-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Yep, nuttin' like the reedy sound of the sax. I played a bit of alto sax in HS so I have a soft spot for dem. Good thread an luv the opening to Baker Street. Thinkin' I may have to spin dis afferwerk.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Y'know, he did the sax work on Pink Floyd's Final Cut, don't you? Yeah: The man's got lungs!

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Y'know, he did the sax work on Pink Floyd's Final Cut, don't you? Yeah: The man's got lungs!
    No I didn't know that. But then again I don't do Pink much these daze. Cheers

Auricauricle if you like sax solos I highly recommend
    Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
    If you don't like his solo's on St. Thomas I'll be very surprised.

I know it's not rock and roll but God Damn the man can blow.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    I don't know who played it but the haunting sax on Bob Seger's, Turn A Page, made that song.

I would also add Dave Sanborn's solo on Michael Stanley Band, Let's Get The Show On The Road. Not so well known gem of a song.

There's a song on Pat Travers album Puttin It Straight that has nice sax, wish I could remember the exact song title. I think it might be Hope You Understand.

How about the Coasters, Yakitti Yak I believe there was also an instrumental called Yakkitti Sax but not the Coasters.

I don't know if this would qualify but it would with the R&R Hall of Fame criteria, what criteria? I like the sax on Billy Ocean's Carribbiean Queen.

And definitely off original thread thought, Scott Hamilton

I was going to close by saying anything played by Ian Anderson but I am sure some one would miss the humor and correct me.

Now you got me thinking, I may be back.

Please dig in, Mr. P! This was a hastily written thread that was composed as the inspiration came to me....Like I said, this is by no means the be all and end all of posts regarding this and is subject to amendment....So let 'er rip!

....So let 'er rip!
    John Helliwell - Supertramp

Absolutely, without a doubt, one of the best....I love the way the guy infused pop with Klezmer! His name just simply slipped outta mind! My bad.

Who was that muscle bound sax blower that toured with Tina Turner during the 80's?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    John Helliwell - Supertramp
    That seems so logical.

Heh, heh, Mr. P.... You're right, right, you're bloody well right...

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Be sure you never have unprotected sax !

Bill L
    If you can, take a listen to "Soul Serenade" by King Curtis. The guy died a while ago, but he was a great alto sax player. Played back up for Frank Sinatra and a ton of other famous people. There are a couple of versions of this out there. The original studio version is my favorite. If you like the sax, you'll just love this number.

Bill
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

Bill L
    Mr. P,

Yakitty Sax, done by Boots Randolph. When I was growing up in Baltimore, they used it for the opening for a local TV variety show hosted by Lorenzo the clown. They called it the "Lorenzo Stomp".

Bill
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

Pee Wee Ellis does some fine sax blowing on Van Morrison's 'Back On Top' offering.

I've just been listening to one of my favourite Jazz Sax LP's in my collection, "Sadao Watanabe" "How's Everything" live at Budokan.

If your a Sax fan this is one not to be missed, recorded in Tokyo 1980 with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. The record was arranged and conducted by Dave Grusin of Sheffield Treasury Fame who also plays keyboard on some of the tracks,

I don't think you be able to get it new now, only second hand if you are lucky, but go for it if you can. I'll give you the LP No. its on Columbia NY 36818.

Good luck.
    Onkyo P304 M504 pre/power combo.
    Systemdek 2X2 turntable RB 300 Arm Origin live modified
    Denon CD player (to be upgraded as soon as I have more cash)
    Sonus Faber Minuetto Speakers Bi-wired on Sonus Faber stands (Brilliant)
    Kimber 4 TC speaker cable
    Cord Cobra 3 Interconnects.

Good ol' Sadao...Now that take me back....What's the Orange Express up these days?

He's looking a lot older but still blowing great. have a look on you tube.
    Onkyo P304 M504 pre/power combo.
    Systemdek 2X2 turntable RB 300 Arm Origin live modified
    Denon CD player (to be upgraded as soon as I have more cash)
    Sonus Faber Minuetto Speakers Bi-wired on Sonus Faber stands (Brilliant)
    Kimber 4 TC speaker cable
    Cord Cobra 3 Interconnects.

Forum Regular
    Van Morrison's saxophone playing on 'Tell Me What You Want' from his 'Too Long In Exile' CD is top notch. Van is a great sax player, but unfortunately doesn't indulge in it very often.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Forum Regular
    Jeff Coffin w/ flecktones. Plays a mean clarinet too.

After considered study I have come up with this list of what, in my humble opinion, comprises some of the best saxophone solos in rock and roll history. I have no doubt that folks with more educated and refined ears than mine will amend the list, but this is what I have come up with so far. A few comments describing rationales for their inclusion is also provided, for those wet-behind-the-ears youngsters who aren?t aware of their presence as well as for the rest of you who value my opinion so highly (ahem).

10). Walk on the Wild Side. Classic and much revered number performed by Mr. Lou Reed and produced by David Bowie, Walk on the Wild Side?s sax solo was performed by Ronnie Ross, a Calcutta India native who tutored Bowie who went on to play the instrument on many of his best albums. The sax in this piece is sparse but succinctly beautiful, capturing all the decadence and greasy light-show freakiness that is what the song is all about.

9). One Year of Love. Queen?s ultimate love ballad. With Freddie Mercury crooning smooth as silk, Steve Gregory?s saxophone is close behind, soaking up every word and pouring out every ounce of passion. Gregory?s instrument dances in slow turns and sure steps. Beautiful, just beautiful!

8). New York State of Mind. Performed by Mark Rivera, whose sultry, urban sound deftly and able accompanies Billy Joel?s singular New York voice. Listen to the reed buzzing and close your eyes: the taxis, the hot dog stands, the steam pouring out the man-hole covers. Truly, Rivera knows everything about a New York state of mind!

7). Born to Run. Whenever Bruce Springsteen?s name comes up, this song is not far behind. The song rocks, and Clarence Clemons, along with Bruce and the rest of the E-Street bring the house and everything near it down with grand, polished and hearty form. Clemons is a powerful and accomplished performer, no mean feat for a main man on Springsteen?s line-up.

6). Your Latest Trick. Mark Knopfler took Michael Brecker?s smooth and sultry saxophone up on Brothers in Arms, an album that made adoring fans ecstatic and made true believers of those who appreciated Dire Straits? talent but seldom recognized their raw and well-informed ability. Brecker?s saxophone is played pure and dark indigo, giving this album great weight, depth and soul.

5). Baker Street. On the first notes to pour out of this magnificent horn, Raf Ravenscroft?s solo is instantly recognizable and once impregnated in the heart of the grateful listener remains implanted for a lifetime. ?Nuff said.

4). 5:15. Roger Daltry?s Carneigi Hall Celebration Concert. The orchestra rocks hard, and Tom Scott steps up from the right to play a solo that simply blows the house down. He wails, he screams, and absolutely slays the equally adept but handily matched trumpet who dares to introduce himself from the right. This was a magical night, and Scott?s solo is played as if by Merlin himself.

3). Over You. From Roxy Music?s Flesh and Blood, Over You is Andy Mackay?s saxophone?s chance to play hard and true. Roxy Music was all about glitz and polish, Brian Ferry?s troubadour-voice and words are echoed in grand and smooth fashion by a sax-man who gives his instrument?s voice and heart.

2). Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Pink Floyd?s tribute to the late, great Syd Barrett. Dick Parry?s saxophone is played with all the ferocity, fire, and psychedelic and blessed-out dexterity and passion that were the wonder of the Floyd and the phenomenon that shook the rock world to its core.

1). Us and Them. Parry?s signature solo. Short, sweet, and absolutely devastating.

So there you have it. My list of the top ten saxophone solos in rock and roll...

Ya gotta problem widdat?
    omg....HEY LOOK!!! A FIEND...AFIENNDD!!! all kidding aside. i gotta check some of these out. i enjoy the sax played back on the ol' rig myself...

Everett Harp - Masterful
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Thread Information