Forum Regular

Whining coming from TV

I bought a crappy $120 Apex 20 inch TV in december, and of course, the week I decided I was going to keep it and threw away the packaging, it started to make a loud whining sound. I did not purchase a service agreement from best buy since the TV was so inexpensive. The whining starts when the TV is turned on, but after a few minutes, will gradually fade out. I have a Playstation hooked up to it via S-video, but when I push in or pull a little on the coax in (antenna) the noise will change or dissapear.

Does anyone have an idea of what this noise is? I remember a similar noise on a terribly old zenith when I was a kid. I don't know if this is a result of an inferrior unit (Apex) or some kind of fixable problem.

I appreciate any input I can get because as of now, my wife won't turn it on, so it doesn't get a lot of use.

Are you watching "The Nanny"?

Sorry. I can't resist a straight line like that.

Seriously, there's a part in there called a horizontal output transformer that can oscillate at just below 16khz. This will generate a high ptched whine, which few people can hear. If you're one of the "lucky" few who can hear this, you've got great hearing!

Also, sometimes wires laminated to the picture tube can vibrate, causing a whine also. At least that's what Mitusubishi told me when they replaced that whole assembly under warranty years ago.

Perhaps Woodman can offer other ideas, such as a flyback transformer?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Sorry. I can't resist a straight line like that.

Seriously, there's a part in there called a horizontal output transformer that can oscillate at just below 16khz. This will generate a high ptched whine, which few people can hear. If you're one of the "lucky" few who can hear this, you've got great hearing!

Also, sometimes wires laminated to the picture tube can vibrate, causing a whine also. At least that's what Mitusubishi told me when they replaced that whole assembly under warranty years ago.

Perhaps Woodman can offer other ideas, such as a flyback transformer?
    In most such cases, you'd most likely be right on the button with your "diagnosis". FYI though, a horizontal output transformer and a flyback transformer are one and the same thing. The one fact that flies in the face of this being the problem though, is that Mania says that when he pushes in or pulls out on the "antenna connector" the whining noise will change or disappear. This would seem to rule out the flyback doing the "whining". Having said that, it could be anything - especially in a cheap piece of crap posing as a TV set such as the Apex. I've seen that same set on sale in a supermarket of all places for $99! It would appear to be a classic case of ... "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is".
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    In most such cases, you'd most likely be right on the button with your "diagnosis". FYI though, a horizontal output transformer and a flyback transformer are one and the same thing. The one fact that flies in the face of this being the problem though, is that Mania says that when he pushes in or pulls out on the "antenna connector" the whining noise will change or disappear. This would seem to rule out the flyback doing the "whining". Having said that, it could be anything - especially in a cheap piece of crap posing as a TV set such as the Apex. I've seen that same set on sale in a supermarket of all places for $99! It would appear to be a classic case of ... "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is".

Maybe a mechanical vibration caused by one of the transformers manifesting at some loose part?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    So what you're saying is that there's not much I can do?? Except buy a better TV next time?

Its not something that I can hear due to "great" hearing. I assure you, its quite audible by pretty much anything.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mania
    So what you're saying is that there's not much I can do?? Except buy a better TV next time?

Its not something that I can hear due to "great" hearing. I assure you, its quite audible by pretty much anything.
    Then that would rule out anything associated with the horiz. scanning system, since that freq. (15,734 hertz) is only audible to those with excellent high frequency hearing ability.
    Since you can alter the sound by applying pressure to the "antenna connector", I'd suspect that the problem could be a vibration in the tuner, since the ant. connector is very likely an integral part of said tuner.

How old is this set anyway? It should have come with at least a 90 day warranty in which case you should drop it into BestBuys lap. Even if it's a bit over 90 days, you might give it a try anyway - the least that they should do for you would be to credit you with the price paid for the Apex, and allow you to "upgrade" to something better. It won't hurt a thing to try.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

Steven Wright

Forum Regular

A different brand

If I were able to exchange the apex for credit, what TV would be a more reliable buy? I am not interested in spending a lot of money because this is an infrequently used bedroom TV/playstation TV. I bought it when the wife was sick with the flu and couldn't get out of bed/needed something to take her mind off the pain. It was an impulse buy that is not terribly important to me. I don't even have my direct TV hooked up to it. However, if my wife can't even be in the same room as the tv when it is turned on (for about 5-10 min to warm up) there is absolutely no point in having it.

Thanks for your input woodman. I've been lurking on this board for a couple of years, and you are always the best source of info on TVs. When I am ready to take the plunge into HDTV I will hope you are still on this board. It's great that you are willing to help others out in an area in which you are so experienced.

In the 20" range RCA and Sharp are pretty good values. You can get a 19" Sharp with front A/V inputs at Best Buy for $109.99.

Forum Regular

thanks

Thanks for your help woodman and 24.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wasch_24
    In the 20" range RCA and Sharp are pretty good values. You can get a 19" Sharp with front A/V inputs at Best Buy for $109.99.
    Sorry Wasch - I beg to differ. RCA would not be a "good value" at any price ... the company has lost all shreds of business ethics and morals and conscience over the last 15 years or so. You wouldn't be able to shove any RCA-branded product past my front door as an outright gift!

Sharp? OK
    RCA? No, no, no, no, and NO!
    woodman

Steven Wright

Thread Information