AR Newbie Registered Member

dbx-BX-3 amplifier. S O S !

Hello to all !

I am getting distortion from both output channels, 1 & 2, on my BX-3 amplifier. When I route the speakers to channels 3 & 4 , the distortion goes away. Can it be the output transistors in channels 1 & 2 ? Also , I wanted to bridge this amp via channels 1 & 2 , but , because of the distortion problem, I elected not to do it, didn't even attempt it. When bridging this amp, the instructions advise to wire the speakers + to + on the back of the amp to channels 1 & 2, after this is done, it is just a matter of flipping the 2 channel switch.If I decide to attempt to try the bridged mode , will it work , and or , would it cause any other further damage? Not sure if this amp can be bridged from channel 3 & 4, as a last resort?? Thank you for your help !:

It is obvious that there is a problem with channel 1 and 2. Bridging it won't help. I would advise you to bring it to a qualified service personnel if you want to run your amp in bridged mode.

You could run your amp in single ended mode with channels 3 and 4 and probably not notice the difference. If you have fairly sensitive speakers the amp will be able to drive them to adequate level. In fact it might even sound better in single ended mode compared to bridged mode.

Thank you !

Suspended
    It sounds like the amp is a dual-stereo design with bridging capabilities for each pair. It could be the Ch1/Ch2 pair has bad drivers or outputs. Since channels don't usually go out in pairs, I would look at components common to the two channels (power supply if separate from ch3/ch4, input portion if inputs share components, or an output IC (probably IC outputs since problem is common to both channels). I agree, you shouldn't attempt to configure as a mono amp.

Thread Information