Anyone read/bought this book?

http://www.getbettersound.com/thebook.html

Seems it is about speaker set up in a variety of environments. I kind of am interested in reading it but for $44 and the general amount of fluff and subjectivity out there I could think of better things to do with $44.

what do you all think?

Probably will make a bigger difference to your system performance than $44 worth of premium speaker cable.

I recommend Good Sound by Laura Dearborn. Every one new to this hobby/obsession should read if not purchase a copy of this book. I used to keep a couple of copies around to give to people who were interested in better sound.
    ARC SP9 MKIII
    VPI HW19jr
    Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1
    Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges
    Marantz CD63SE CD
    MSB DtoA
    Sony DVP-NS500V
    Accuphase T101 tuner
    Nakamichi LX-3, ZX-7 Cassette
    Lexicon MC8
    2 modified Hafler DH200
    2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's
    1 Adcom GFA545
    2 Paradigm xovers
    2 12" Transmission Line Sub's {Nelson Pass)
    Pass Active Eq cuicuit
    1pr Acoustat Spectra 22/SPW-1 ESL's (fronts)
    1pr Acoustat Model 1 ESL's (with Spectra Sub -rears)

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    what do you all think?
    I have not, although I've read quite a few of his posts over at AA. Jim Smith is a sharp guy. Alternately, I've spent a similar amount on Stereophile test CDs and a Radio Shack SPL meter. I find them indispensable for optimum speaker placement as well. They helped me optimize the placement of my speakers and bass traps upstairs to get a very neutral response.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I have not, although I've read quite a few of his posts over at AA. Jim Smith is a sharp guy. Alternately, I've spent a similar amount on Stereophile test CDs and a Radio Shack SPL meter. I find them indispensable for optimum speaker placement as well. They helped me optimize the placement of my speakers and bass traps upstairs to get a very neutral response.

rw
    I couldn't agree more. The TRS SPL meter and Stereophile CD's are so handy and inexpensive everyone should own them. For anyone who builds their own speakers they are almost a requirement.
    I've got one of the old ones with the analog meter. It came with an ADC Eq that is history.
    ARC SP9 MKIII
    VPI HW19jr
    Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1
    Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges
    Marantz CD63SE CD
    MSB DtoA
    Sony DVP-NS500V
    Accuphase T101 tuner
    Nakamichi LX-3, ZX-7 Cassette
    Lexicon MC8
    2 modified Hafler DH200
    2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's
    1 Adcom GFA545
    2 Paradigm xovers
    2 12" Transmission Line Sub's {Nelson Pass)
    Pass Active Eq cuicuit
    1pr Acoustat Spectra 22/SPW-1 ESL's (fronts)
    1pr Acoustat Model 1 ESL's (with Spectra Sub -rears)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have thought about it but I would not be pleased if I bought it and there were not several ideas that would improve the sound I have. That money could be used to buy new vinyl. Or a deposit on new cables.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

........................i might not be qualified to say this.?...............................

IMO people should learn to live with their equipment" and know how their systems work (over time,) (i will live with the SPL METER / and the TEST CD) as E-Stat stated them two components are indispensable. that said we buy speakers from a $100. upwards to thousands of dollars. if that $44 bucks could transform, say your modest price MARTIN LOGAN CLS IIz's into a great sound-stage depth and width tighter and more defined low end. without having to go out and spend a lot more $$$$$ on real traps diffusors and stuff, it would have been OK but its not... just for the RECORD i do not own a pair of those martin Logan's but i know them well. spl meter and the test CD is a must have period....

thanks for the response and suggestions. i think i am going to get the book. even though i don't think i've paid more than $10 on a book since college, i suppose $44 really isn't that bad.

i'll let you all know what i think. I am going to get the other book suggested by Deadeye as well. book report time i suppose.

Deadeye is gone JoeE SP9 has his user name and Avatar back. I couldn't remember them. I wanted to participate so I used Deadeye. It's good to be me again.

If you don't already own a test CD and SPL meter you should get them first.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information