I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Bringing old cabinets back to life...

I needed to fix up the Dynaco's I just got so I went ahead and bought a product I had heard about called Howard's Restor-A-Finish and Howard's Feed-N-Wax. It's available at Home Depot for about $15 for both cans.

I applied the Restor-A-Finish with some steel wool and then after wiping dry I applied the Feed-N-Wax. Pretty good results as most minor scratches disappeared or at least faded enough as to no longer be obvious. I highly recommend this route before considering restaining older speaker cabinets. Process also has high WAF since she now thinks of them as pieces of furniture rather than speakers.

BTW- I bought some black burlap that closely approximated the type of material in the Dynaco grills and took my first shot at regrilling. Not a great result but good enough to get them into the MB set-up. My wife insisted on moving the KLH-17,s out of the bedroom because of the lighter grill cloth.

I have included a few photos to show the results.
    Unfortunately I can't get the older pictures of the KLH 17's and Optimus 5's to show the difference but perhaps you can find them in their original posts. I did include a picture of the Dynaco which even though it is taken head on gives you some sense of the change.
    Last edited by thekid; 02-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Thread Information