Thread: Audiogon

Audiogon

Why is it sometimes people edit their Audiogon to say it's sold but it isn't marked "sold" by the website? Is there some fishy business there on the part of the seller?

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Good question. I've sold a few items on Audiogon and after I edited the ad to show "sold", it showed "sold". Prior to the item being officially sold, you can mark it "pending sale" which Iv'e also done and it's worked. Are you sure the folks are actually and deliberately changing their ad to "sold"?

Quote Originally Posted by PDN
    Good question. I've sold a few items on Audiogon and after I edited the ad to show "sold", it showed "sold". Prior to the item being officially sold, you can mark it "pending sale" which Iv'e also done and it's worked. Are you sure the folks are actually and deliberately changing their ad to "sold"?
    I don't mean they changed it to be "sold". I mean they edit the title or text of their ad to include the word sold. Example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Audiogon-audiogon-forsale_-bellari-v.._page_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Why is it sometimes people edit their Audiogon to say it's sold but it isn't marked "sold" by the website? Is there some fishy business there on the part of the seller?
    Most likely is an inability to use the site. (If all else fails, try following the directions )
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    Most likely is an inability to use the site. (If all else fails, try following the directions )
    The first time I sold something, I failed to realized that you could change the status to 'SOLD' and just edited the text. However I realized my mistake after a day or two.

I suppose that could be it, but the seller has a feedback of 3697. That's quite a bit of selling to be still learning how to do it.

Ah, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I suppose that could be it, but the seller has a feedback of 3697. That's quite a bit of selling to be still learning how to do it.
    Looks like a commercial operation; could be a new staff person was given the task.

Suspended
    Bill, always the optimist I agree though, that would be my guess too. I don't see any advantage to showing "sold". That would keep people from inquiring and waste of money on the ad.

Maybe they can avoid paying a commission to Audiogon if they never mark it as officially sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    Maybe they can avoid paying a commission to Audiogon if they never mark it as officially sold.
    Audiogon charges a flat fee when you post the ad (was it $6.00?). No commission.

If you don't mark the item sold, I think the ad runs for 30 days. So if you are a trader, I suppose not using the Audiogon sold option will allow you to offer alternate items to any inquiries,
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

you mark it 'sold' in the title, because Audiogon is slow to change the status. This way, you cease receiving emails and such about the item.

I always mark my ads with 'sold' in the title. It's less hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    Audiogon charges a flat fee when you post the ad (was it $6.00?). No commission.
    Audiogon charges 1% if sold:

http://www.audiogon.com/registry/terms.html

Suspended
    Yeah, Audiogon changed their fees around the end of the year I believe, now it's a flat fee plus the percentage. I haven't had much luck selling anything on there lately. I also seem to get more emails that are low ball or they ask a question just to never hear back again. Sometimes just asking if it's still available. Why ask if you aren't really interested. Probably just another sign of the state of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    .... Why ask if you aren't really interested....
    Could it be that they are maybe looking at quite a few pieces and want to eliminate the ones that are already sold?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Maybe, maybe not, just let me be pesimistic and grumpy, alright.

I haven't had any luck buying, lately

Yeah, Audiogon changed their fees around the end of the year I believe, now it's a flat fee plus the percentage. I haven't had much luck selling anything on there lately. I also seem to get more emails that are low ball or they ask a question just to never hear back again. Sometimes just asking if it's still available. Why ask if you aren't really interested. Probably just another sign of the state of the economy.
    I sell on craigslist sometimes and I get those inquiries that either ask only if it's still available or some very fundamental question...never hearing from them again. I suspect they're deliberating and they don't want to waste the mental energy only to find out later, when they're serious, that it's sold.

As for Audiogon...I haven't sold there, or even bought...but I've inquired about buying. I sometimes ask a serious question, only to be told it's sold. That's part of why I'm interested in why people edit their ads to say "sold" but most don't. I've extended what I think are legitimate offers on OBO listings, based on recent sales of similar items...usually hearing nothing until they expire. Maybe it's sold? I sent an email to a seller nearby, asking if I could meet him halfway between my ZIP and his. I never heard from him. I tried to arrange to arrange for a local sale with another seller and he was apparently too busy dealing with a family matter. I suppose the sellers really just want you to submit an offer for the full amount and not bug them about it. I think I detect a smidgen of arrogance on that site as compared to eBay. Maybe I'm misunderstanding...I dunno.

Maybe, maybe not, just let me be pesimistic and grumpy, alright.

Roger Wilco
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Yeah, Craigslist does seem to generate more waste mail but, hey, it's free. I think there's so much TV's, game consoles and cellphones listed people don't want to weed through it for anything good.

craigslist

For me personally, all the clutter of cellphones keeps me from just browsing. I have about 10 keyword searches bookmarked. I'll occasionally hit each one, quickly searching for high-end brand names and move along. I have run across Sonic Frontiers, McIntosh and Krell fairly often that way, but I haven't seen prices I liked yet.

Suspended
    OMG, speaking of prices, Craigslist is either full of idiots or people who think everyone else is, many of the prices on there are equivalent to retail. This is one reason I try to post the msrp so people can see my price may be high but it's because the item is worth a lot.

Naive

OMG, speaking of prices, Craigslist is either full of idiots or people who think everyone else is, many of the prices on there are equivalent to retail. This is one reason I try to post the msrp so people can see my price may be high but it's because the item is worth a lot.
    Yeah, you see that a lot, usually people who don't sell much or often.

Dunno: they buy something, can't make the payments, and decide to sell. It's, only "2 months old", "hardly been used", and "like new", so they expect to get 90% of retail. Well sorry.

Forum Regular
    I sold some gear on CL and got some strange responses. One guy wrote me and went on and on about what he expected of me- in a demanding and hilarious tone. "You will do...such and such...then...such and such. "

Finally did sell the gear to a local guy it was a great deal. A pair of new Martin Logan Montages, Rotel 5 channel amp/prepro and Audio Quest Rocket 88's for 1200.00. Retail value of about 4k.

Had guys all the way from NJ wanting to drive down and pick them up.

Thread Information