AR Newbie Registered Member

newbie 1000$ Dilemma

I have a budget of a grand and would like thoughts and direction on where to go.
    I have a new LCD and blue ray and am completing the HT this coming week.
    I don't want to go with pre-fabbed HTiB and have done some research for 2 1/2 months on speaker/receiver combinations. So far this is what I wanted to get.
    1. Onyko SR606 - this is a definite.
    2. Rocketfish wireless speaker kit - for the surround speakers
    The part that I need help with is the speakers.
    So far here is what I am leaning on based on scouring the web on reviews and owner experiences.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Polk rm85 + PSW 110 sub woofer or Harman Harman/Kardon HKTS 18.
    I was thinking about the Energy RC micro 5.1 package but it may be a little more than I can spend and finally Mirage Nanostats.
    The room is 18' X 20' and the ceilings are 18' w/ carpeting.
    5.1 is the setup and maybe in a year or so I would go with 7.1 so please limit replies to a 5.1 speaker combination.
    This is my first post and I will be my first HT setup. I do want a decent audio experience. I have been to brick and morters and have not been impressed with any of the HTiB's I've listened to.
    Thanks to all for your insight.

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You might also price out a Paradigm package or perhaps any entry level B&W.

I don't normally suggest this but in your case you have a large room and a small budget, you might also give a listen and look to a Klipsch package. The Onkyo will rock and I'm sure play loud enough with Energy, Paradigm or B&W but the Klipsch would be by far the most sensitive (play louder with same input signal). And, some people actually like the Klipsch sound, you could be one of those guys.

Blackraven I like your picks and was already leaning on an Energy product based on cnets reviews of the Energy RC micro. The only thing is I was hoping to have the center, right and left speakers to be of a very low profile and the C-300's are fairly large. Might make the sacrifice just as well since I am looking for some great sound. I guess your recommendation makes sense since the room is fairly large.

Suspended
    WWW.audioadvisor.com has Energy bookshelf speakers for $69 and a sub for $88. You may want to check them out. Not SPAM. I'm not associated with the website, just read their sales catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    WWW.audioadvisor.com has Energy bookshelf speakers for $69 and a sub for $88. You may want to check them out. Not SPAM. I'm not associated with the website, just read their sales catalog.
    Thanks for your detailed advice. This indeed looks like a great partial set up, Anyone have experience with the energy c 50 series?
    Here is what I put together for 499.00 with all of your help.
    4 Energy - C-50 - Bookshelf Speakers for front and rear L,R.
    1 Energy - ESW 10- Powered Sub-woofer (this is plenty powerful and should do the job)
    1 Energy - C-C100 - Center Channel
    All 499 free shipping.
    How is this compared to the Energy take 5?
    I wish I had more $ to put into this but have a limited budget.

Suspended
    Any way you might be able to swing larger mains? I don't know how loud you'd want your movies or music but a room 18x20 with high ceilings will be hard to fill for a bookshelf 2-way using a 4" woofer.

Heck of a deal though $500.00 for the lot. If you weren't satisfied with the level of sound you could upgrade the mains as money would allow.

Suspended
    It's difficult to make the comparison because there are several "Take" systems. Some with satellites, LCRs, or towers. Interestingly enough, a 2.1 C-50 system with the same sub on the Energy site has an MSRP of $469, so it's like you're getting two bookshelf speakers for free.

Something to consider, the C-50 are not sheilded, so if you have a display which requires a sheilded speaker, you may want to consider something else, or not mount close to the display. Audioadsivor usually has petty good sales.

I would try and get the C-100's for the Mains if you could swing it. You might even want to try to get the C-300's because you will have to spend about $100 for speaker stands just for 2 speakers.

Otherwise it looks like a winner and worth the money. I bet it would sound better than the Take 5.1 system.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Good observation and needs to be considered. No shielding, should be a deal killer for main speakers. Even if they were far enough away from the TV not to cause picture interference, it seems like most people have stuff around the entertainment area that could be effected by a magnetic field. I don't know why today any speaker would not be shielded but I guess Energy expected the 50 to be a surround and it wouldn't be important so why not save a couple bucks and leave it out.

Von Beck has an LCD TV so shielding is unnecessary.

Several here advocate using three of the same speaker across the front rather than special center speaker. I'm with them, not so much for the matchy-matchy but because I believe the horizontal double-woofer configuration of these center speakers is a flawed design.

I'd want to hear this Rocketfish wireless thing before committing to it. They're saying 20 ms latency will be no problem but that's like pushing your speakers back another 20 feet. AVRs have a way to compensate for that but mine only goes to 10 feet. Make sure to check the return policy on it. You are saving yourself having to get speaker wires to the rear speakers at the expense of now having to get AC power to them. Might not be any more fun.

Suspended
    Who said you can't learn something new each day. I did not know that about LCD. Good info.... In fact, it looks like the only TV's that were effected had the cathode tubes.

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/hifibitz.asp?id=1723 You knew I had to check.

Mirage

Vanns have the Mirage omnisat v2 on sale for $99 each - down from $250 each since they are being replaced. Get these with a HSU sub and you would have a great system. I have the Omnisat v2s and love them>

Thread Information