AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Weight of Speakers

Hi all:

Just curious about the weight of speakers. Will it be good for a pair of speakers with a higher weight?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    All things being equal, generally, yes. A heavier speaker would be indicative of higher quality drivers, magnets and speaker cabinet/enclosure bracing. This is comparing apples and apples. Different types of speaker designs might generally be inherently lighter or heavier.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Yes, and they must be the proper twelve feet of distance apart as well.

Edit: Ooops, didn't see you were a first time poster Dylan. Disregard the twelve feet thing...I'm just referencing some jackass that used to haunt these hallowed halls...and, yes, generally, the heavier the better (although there are exceptions)

Welcome to the forum.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

It's all about the music. Doc Sage's Avatar
    A lighter speaker cabinet would not only indicate that the speakers have smaller magnets but also that the box is made of a thinner/lighter material. Such a cabinet have the tendency to vibrate, adding noises while the speakers are playing music (no a good thing).

Simple test: knock on the cabinet of various speaker systems. Soon you will notice that the lighter/less expensive units sound like an hollow door while the better/more expensive units are like knocking on cement. These last not only have thicker walls but may also be internally braced.

Doc Sage

It depends on the design of the speakers, a open panel speaker has no surrounding box and therefore most likely less weight. On the other hand it may have 6ft tall magnets which are very heavy. Speakers come in all sizes and weight, even up to 1300lbs per side if you look close.

On a enclosed speaker i would generally tend to a heavier design, even tough members such as RGA tend to favor light speakers with a high cabinet resonance such as Audio Note UK.

Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information