music fanatic

crossover frequency....?

I need a receiver for the Paradigm Studio 40s I'm getting. I'm going to be using them as a stereo set up for the time being, but I'll probably want to add a sub and center at some point.
    I'm looking a few different recievers...the yamaha rx-v740, marantz sr5400, and hk avr330 are all in my price range. the avr 330 is the only one of the three with an adjustable crossover freq (40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 200hz) , which could be an issue when I want to add a sub. the rxv740s crossover is at 90hz, and the sr5400 is at 100hz.
    I'm not too familar with what goes on musically at the 50-100hz range. What kind of pros/cons could I expect when having the crossover at 90-100hz as opposed to 40-60hz?

I've got a Marantz with the crossover set at 100 hz, it's not a problem IF you keep the sub near the main speakers. When I had it toward the back of the room, some male vocals were audible. But, if you buy a subwoofer, it probably has it's own crossover in it, you conect your main speakers fom yur receiver through the sub, then to the speakers. This will let you set the crossover to wherever you want regardless of your receiever. This shouldn't be a deal breaker if your sub has it's own crossover.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal
    I need a receiver for the Paradigm Studio 40s I'm getting. I'm going to be using them as a stereo set up for the time being, but I'll probably want to add a sub and center at some point.
    I'm looking a few different recievers...the yamaha rx-v740, marantz sr5400, and hk avr330 are all in my price range. the avr 330 is the only one of the three with an adjustable crossover freq (40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 200hz) , which could be an issue when I want to add a sub. the rxv740s crossover is at 90hz, and the sr5400 is at 100hz.
    I'm not too familar with what goes on musically at the 50-100hz range. What kind of pros/cons could I expect when having the crossover at 90-100hz as opposed to 40-60hz?
    Definitly use a receiver with variable crossover frequencies. Room acoustics are simply weird. With a variable crossover you will be better able to match the amount of bass to your HT room. I find that higher bass frequencies make movies and especially music to "boomy". You will be able to perfectly dial in a frequency that creates an impact with out sounding like vocal are passing through your subwoofer. Make sure when you buy your sub that you can turn off or bypass the internal crossover. Hats off to your Paradigm. I really like the sound of those speakers. Good luck.

Forum Regular

sub crossover

Hey Joey,

If I connect my mains through my sub as you describe, how will this affect the power level going into the mains? That is, will the power going to my mains then be determined by my sub or by my Marantz receiver? Does it make a difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    I've got a Marantz with the crossover set at 100 hz, it's not a problem IF you keep the sub near the main speakers. When I had it toward the back of the room, some male vocals were audible. But, if you buy a subwoofer, it probably has it's own crossover in it, you conect your main speakers fom yur receiver through the sub, then to the speakers. This will let you set the crossover to wherever you want regardless of your receiever. This shouldn't be a deal breaker if your sub has it's own crossover.

-Joey

music fanatic
    I think the idea is to set the receiver to blend the channels and then cut the sub off at the frequency you want the crossover to be at. if your speakers cut out at 60hz or so, then you'd set the sub to crossover at that frequency, so no blending would actually occur between the sub and the other speakers. am I getting this right?

Forum Regular

I've got mine bi-wired

Quote Originally Posted by Roreman
    Hey Joey,

If I connect my mains through my sub as you describe, how will this affect the power level going into the mains? That is, will the power going to my mains then be determined by my sub or by my Marantz receiver? Does it make a difference?

Thanks
    Hi!

The way that I have mine set up is that I have a wire going to the mid/treble driver (via the subwoofer crossover), and I have a different wire going straight to the bass driver of my mains. The crossover in the sub filters out the frequencies above 65Hz (or whatever yours is set to), and the signal gets sent to the main speakers. I think that the mains use the power from the receiver for 65+Hz and the frequencies below 65Hz use the power from the sub.

BTW, my setup is biamped as well, but I think that the above applies to a simple bi-wire situation.

Nothing will happen to the power. if they claim 90 watts a channel, that's what will pas through the subs crossover and into your speakers. In most cases setting the sub through the receiver or through the sub's crossover doesn't make a difference, but if the receiver has a set crossover like the Marantz, you're better off going through the sub or you would be wasting the performance of your main speakers unless they only go down to about 100 hz.

-Joey

yep sounds good. It's okay to blend them a little, like if they cut out at 60 hertz, you might want to be safe and cross it at 70 hz. Depending on how the speakers frequency response and how it was measured, you'd be safe either way. Set the crossover to whatever sounds the best.

-Joey

Thread Information