AR Newbie Registered Member

Need Help Wiring Speakers

I have a McIntosh MC2105 Amp and C28 Preamp. I would like to wire a pair of Norman Lab Model 9 4ohm speakers and a pair of Spica TC-50 4ohm speakers to the 2105 Amp. The Amp has on set of terminals on the back for 4, 6, or 8 ohm. What is the safest and best way to wire these speakers? Or is this possible?
    Thanks for any help,
    Chris

Spica TC-50 Need help wiring

I have a McIntosh MC2105 Amp and C28 Preamp. I would like to wire a pair of Norman Lab Model 9 4ohm speakers and a pair of Spica TC-50 4ohm speakers to the 2105 Amp. The Amp has on set of terminals on the back for 4, 6, or 8 ohm. What is the safest and best way to wire these speakers? Or is this possible?
    Thanks for any help,
    Chris

Need Help Wiring Norman and Spica Speakers

Thanks for any help,
    Chris

Wire in series

Quote Originally Posted by cns9567
    Thanks for any help,
    Chris
    Welcome to AR Forums, Chris.

If you wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel to each channel, the load will look like 2 ohms to the amplifier -- this probably isn't safe for the amp. Therefore your only option is to wire the speakers in series and connect them to the 8 ohm connectors.

That is, you must wire from the:
    (+) 8 ohm amp terminal to (+) terminal of the first speaker
    (-) terminal of the first speaker to the (+) terminal of the second speaker
    (-) terminal of the second speaker to the (-) amp terminal.

'Speakers' forum

Thanks for any help,
    Chris
    See my reply in the Speakers Forum

Not need for multiple posts

Thanks for any help,
    Chris
    See the my Speakers Forum response.

Thread Information