Week 17: 25 Greatest Live Records of All Time.

Well, one 8 more weeks to go after this, thankfully. It's been a bit tedious and not all that interesting, and more than a few have questioned the author's sanity.

9) The Bootleg Series, Volume 4: Bob Dylan, Live 1966 The “Royal Albert Hall” Concert--Bob Dylan: One of the most popular bootlegs of its time and a firm argument for why record artists and record labels can’t always be trusted to spot their own talent. It only took forever for this album to finally get released and by the time it was everyone who needed it already owned it at least once. Now they all own it twice.

Comments?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

It's a lot better than Kick Out The Jams, Metallic KO, & Jackson Browne. Along with a few others that this guy saw fit to include. Pere Ubu?

This is a great album.

I don't like others.

You won't get an argument from me. Many believe it's..

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    It's a lot better than Kick Out The Jams, Metallic KO, & Jackson Browne. Along with a few others that this guy saw fit to include. Pere Ubu?

This is a great album.
    AS
    ...the greatest live recording in rock history, and I can't argue with that either. I can't say enough good things about Dylan the songwriter, but this was stellar. From outstanding acoustic tracks like Visions of Johanna and Just Like a Woman on the first disc, to the electric Dylan with the Band and Robbie Robertson's beautiful lead guitar on the second disc. Just beautiful.

And how about those Eagles putting a hurtin' on the Gints? You knew I would have to mention that, didn't you?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

God, going for a long drive with this writer would really suck if this is the kind of crap he listens to.

It only took forever for this album to finally get released and by the time it was everyone who needed it already owned it at least once.

What a load of faux cognoscenti crap. "Oh, all the special people already own this." what a jagoff.

And I bet his guy thinks progrock is pretentious!

And the Eagles still suck.

Did I cover all the bases?

Yeah, that Dylan is one no-talent P.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    And I bet his guy thinks progrock is pretentious!

And the Eagles still suck.

Did I cover all the bases?
    He couldn't hold a candle to all the wonderful progressive rock 'artists' working today. Yeah, what a poser.

As for the Eagles, they just beat the defending S.B. champs are arguably the best team in the NFL, and hammered the division leading Cardinals last week. Yeah, they sucked against Cincinnati and Baltimore, but see what a difference a healthy Westbrook can do for them? And establishing a running game? Yeah, they suck like Dylan.

See my signature line at the bottom Troy, Bwahahahaha.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I like some of the versions from these live sets better than their studio album counterparts. "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" and "Leopard-skin Pill-box Hat" are a rockin' one two punch from the electric set. I didn't know anything about the Dylan bootleg mythos when the official release series rolled out so it was interesting to learn that not all (or maybe it's none) was recorded in Albert Hall. It's also apparent on the first disc that one of the tracks was spliced from two different performances. Mic levels or hall acoustics are different.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    It's also apparent on the first disc that one of the tracks was spliced from two different performances. Mic levels or hall acoustics are different.
    That sound shift is a common occurence w/ bootlegs and doesn't necessarily mean a change of venue. This pick raises the question of what belongs on the list and what doesn't. Is it live "albums" or live "recordings"? Yeah, this was finally officially released but what if it hadn't been? Does that mean it wouldn't have belonged on the list? If Dylan is to be given credit for releasing this then why wasn't it released in the 60's? It's a 42 yr old bootleg for cryin' out loud. Sure, it's a great one but it was also great when it was "unofficial". If you include all bootlegs then this list should be scrapped and started over because the Zep's BBC isn't gonna compare to their Southampton '73.

Forum Regular
    The new Rodrigo y Gabriela Live In Japan CD is pretty good. Maybe not the greatest of all time, but pretty good nonetheless.

Paul Kelly's double live CD from 1992 is another good one.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Thread Information