Forum Regular

Question HK 630, OK NR900, Yamaha 2400, etc.. ???

Hey all. Looking to purchase a reciever here shortly. I have been looking at the HK AVR 630 and others around the same price for comparison. I have found a good deal on the Onkyo NR900 (last year's model). I am wondering if it is far superior to the HK 630. I have also been looking at the Yamaha 1400 and 2400. I was just wondering if anyone has some added insight. Do you see any features that I may miss out on by going with the HK 630? What about the watts? I ahve heard that HK is very underated, but still. Well look forward to your ideas.

Forum Regular
    the yamaha are the best in my opinion, the 2400 has like 10 more watts a channel then the 1400? you have to think to your self if thats worth the money for you, it also has like mulit room stuff that the 1400 doesnt have.

yes hk's power is very under rated around 45 HK watts is around 100 - 115 sony, or kenwood watts. and its crystal clear power.

i think the yamaha's would play louder if thats what your looking for.

the onkyo is basically equal to the yamaha 1400 power wise, but yamaha has the YPAO feature that makes the yammy a better deal. depends on how good of a deal you can get. if you can get it for like hundreds less then the yamaha you should maybe look into that.

Red face I've the older 898....

If you don't need the YPAO feature and can calibrate your room yourself... I'd recommend the Onkyo 900. It's easy to set up... versatile.. powerfull and feature laden. The only difference between it and the 901 is the lack of web music. A non feature if you've digital cable.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    I was interested in YPAO but found out that the HK has a built in sound pressure level in the remote for doing the same sort of Easy-Setup. Oh and the HK has 75 watts so that should be plenty if it translates to around 100 or so "Other Brand" watts. I was interested in the Net Tune features of the NR900 for playing Mp3s of my PC, but I have heard that people haven't really been satisifed with it. ANything else I should make sure I am getting before I lay down some $$$ for the HK 630 ? What about surround sound formats?

Forum Regular
    so you like the HK so far the best? why do you like that one over the others?

the yammy 1400 and 2400 now have dolby PLx which is like prologic 2 but it is in 7.1 instead of 5.1. that is another great feature the yammy has over the others.

i think the onkyo would be better to go with over the HK, even more since you can get a good deal on it. personally i dont like HK products. when i was working at future shop they were constantly there for repair or being taken back. i didnt see a yamaha once. "the dont sell onkyo so i dont know quality from them"

heres my list from from best to less good. "best at top"

yammy 2400

yammy 1400

onkyo 900

HK 630

thats my opionion on this.

Forum Regular
    Well, the sound is hard to compare becasue I have to listen to them at different shops and both sound great. I haven't taken either of them home. I really dislike Orange displays so the asthetics for me go HK , OK then Yammy.

Here is some specs on the 3 receivers for other comparisons (apologies for length) :

HK AVR 630 -$750

Audio/Video Receiver With Dolby Digital - DTS- Logic 7- VMAx and HDCD Decoding / 75 Watts per channel surround

The Harman Kardon AVR-630 7.1 Channel Surround Receiver is a powerhouse by anyone's definition -- a gentle giant, with incredible finesse when it comes to Audio fidelity.
    Dual core, 24-bit DSP processor with 32-Bit post processor
    Stereo Power -- 90 Watts x 2
    Multichannel Power -- 75 x 7
    0.07% Total Harmonic Distortion ( THD )
    6.1 / 7.1 Channel Capability -- 7 amplifier Channels -- 7.1 preamp outputs
    Frequency Response: 10Hz - 130kHz
    Multi-Room / Multi-Source
    Surround Back amplifiers assignable to Second Zone
    Integrated surround technologies: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and Matrix, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, Logic 7, 96kHz capability
    VMax
    Dolby Virtual Speaker
    Headphone Modes: VMax, Dolby Headphone
    AM - FM Tuner
    Coaxial & Optical Inputs / Outputs
    S-Video Inputs / Outputs
    Subwoofer Preamplifier
    2-Line LCD Remote

YAMAHA RX-V2400

Massive power 7-channel discrete amplifier configuration (120Wx 7 RMS/FTC)
    Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
    Direct Stereo mode for high quality 2-channel sound reproduction
    Accurate touch digitally regulated volume control governs all channels
    Finest parts used throughout for high sound quality
    Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync
    New 32-bit Yamaha LSI (YSS-930) for CINEMA DSP processing
    Compatibility with latest movie sound formats including Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24
    THX Select processing
    Component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal
    29 surround programs (49 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening mode
    YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)
    Extensive inputs/outputs for A/V custom installation (Zone 2,Zone 3 and speaker A/B selection)
    9-channel speaker outputs:Automatic presence speaker or Zone 2 speaker selection .

ONKYO TX-NR900 - $799

110 watts x 7 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
    THX Select certified
    THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24 and Pro Logic II decoding
    DTS Neo:6 modes
    Net-Tune protocol
    Ethernet port
    MP3, WMA, and WAV decoding
    30 Internet radio station presets
    dual-room/dual-source A/V output (powered and preamp-level stereo audio and composite video output for 2nd room)
    Wide Range Amplifier Technology
    dual 32-bit processors
    pure audio mode
    composite-to-S-video conversion
    192kHz/24-bit DACs
    digital upsampling
    component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (60MHz bandwidth)
    digital inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 3 coax
    2 optical digital outputs
    3 audio, 6 A/V (including 6 S-video, 1 front-panel, and one 7.1-channel) inputs
    7.1-channel preamp output
    on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
    backlit, learning/multibrand remote with macros
    12-volt trigger for Zone 2
    40 AM/FM presets
    17-1/8"W x 6-15/16"H x 18-11/16"D

Power Specifications

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)
    Front L/R 110 W/Ch
    Center 110 W
    Surround L/R 110 W/Ch
    Surround Back 110 W/Ch (L/R)
    Dynamic Power

3 ohm (Front) 280 W/Ch
    4 ohm (Front) 220 W/Ch
    8 ohm (Front) 140 W/Ch
    Amplifier Design

Identical Full-Bandwidth Channels 7
    Reduced NFB (Negative Feedback) Design
    WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
    Non-Scaling Configuration

DACs 192 kHz/24-Bit x 6 / 96 kHz/24-Bit x 2
    High Current Low Impedance Drive
    All Discrete Output Stage Amplifiers
    Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry Linear
    Digital Upsampling
    Home Theater Features

THX Surround EX and THX Certified Select
    Extended Frequency Response (+ 1 dB, - 3 dB) 10 Hz-100 kHz
    DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6
    Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II
    Dolby Digital EX
    A-Form Listening Mode Memory
    Composite to S-Video Conversion
    Multichannel Input 7.1
    CinemaFILTER

Digital Soundfield Processing Modes 39
    Late Night Mode
    Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
    On-Screen Display
    Adjustable Digital Delay
    Crossover Adjustment
    Internet Features

Net-Tune
    Ethernet
    Inputs

Audio and AV Inputs 3/6
    HDTV-Ready Component Video Input/Output 2/1
    Front-Panel Video Input (with S-Video)
    S-Video Compatible Jacks Input/Output 6/3
    Digital Inputs 5 Optical (1 Front Panel), 3 Coaxial
    Digital Output 2 Optical
    Amp In
    RS-232 Control Port
    IR In/Out 1/1
    Pre Outs

RI-Compatible Remote Control Prepro/Learning/Backlit
    Macro Function
    Absolute/Relative Volume Display
    Intelli Volume

Forum Regular
    After doing months and months of research, I went with the AVR 630. I installed it this weekend and am in love with it so far.

I went to many an audio shop and I found that it sounded the best with the speakers I wanted to buy (Canton CD Series). So far it sounds awesome. I'm only waiting for the release of the HK DVD31 to complete my setup.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all of your insight. I am going to take another listen to the Avr630. I have added another to my comparison -- the Onkyo NR801. Trying to weigh the power and inputs of the NR900 vs. newer model and styling of the NR801.

Quote Originally Posted by rileychris
    I was interested in YPAO but found out that the HK has a built in sound pressure level in the remote for doing the same sort of Easy-Setup. Oh and the HK has 75 watts so that should be plenty if it translates to around 100 or so "Other Brand" watts. I was interested in the Net Tune features of the NR900 for playing Mp3s of my PC, but I have heard that people haven't really been satisifed with it. ANything else I should make sure I am getting before I lay down some $$$ for the HK 630 ? What about surround sound formats?
    YPAO and Easy-Set-up are NOT the same. YPAO is more advanced and makes several adjustments while Easy Set-up does a simple level adjustment. All the units have their advantages. I went with the Yamaha 2400, but I think the 1800 is a better value unless you plan on using the additional features.

Enjoy your choice, you will always find people that agree and disagree with it.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rileychris
    Hey all. Looking to purchase a reciever here shortly. I have been looking at the HK AVR 630 and others around the same price for comparison. I have found a good deal on the Onkyo NR900 (last year's model). I am wondering if it is far superior to the HK 630. I have also been looking at the Yamaha 1400 and 2400. I was just wondering if anyone has some added insight. Do you see any features that I may miss out on by going with the HK 630? What about the watts? I ahve heard that HK is very underated, but still. Well look forward to your ideas.
    Yes, there IS a feature that you will lose out on if you choose any brand other than Yamaha ... that "feature" is reliability! That's probably the major shortcoming of H-K. They've had multiple (and serious) reliability issues in recent years. I'd have to rank your choices exactly the same as uncooked did, with H-K at the bottom. Hear me now, and believe me later (as some fella once said) - I've worked on the insides of this gear all of my life, and today I wouldn't consider for even a second buying any other brand than Yamaha for my own use. They are the absolute, undisputed industry leader in reliability, and have been for a good number of years now. Disregard my advice at your own (possible) peril.

Additionally, the Yamaha YPAO feature puts the icing on the cake. It does far more than set speaker levels and delays ... it tailors the frequency response of each speaker to maximize the accuracy of the soundfield in YOUR room! None of your other choices comes anywhere near this one feature alone. Additionally, it's the first company to include video upconversion of all sources to "component-video" in a modestly priced receiver. In coming years, this will become increasingly important.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Hopefully, I don't run into the reliability problem Woodman spoke of (crosses fingers), since I already bought the thing. But here's a quick update on my front.

Got the AVR630 fully configured. I just switched to using the Dolby Pro Logic II surround format with my music and my Tivo. Turned on upsampling.... Big Difference!!!! woohoo. Sounds terrific.

Make sure when you listen to the HK that you enable the upsampling.

Forum Regular
    Glad to hear that your HK is working out for you. I have a Replay (much like TiVo) that I will be hooking mine up to, among many other components. Wish me luck. Will probably wait another week or so to do some more research and really think about what is most important to me. Keep any experiences coming. Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Quick update on my system.

Tested DTS using my Sony Playstation 2 (Didn't even know PS2's supported it). It sounds great.

I also tested Dolby Digital 5.1 using my Tivo and my DIrect TV feed on HBO (Movie was "Heat"). Also sounded great.

The auto detection and switch to the proper format would take about 1.5 seconds when the Receiver is first turned on, but a switch between an analog channel to the digital channel after the intial switch had a very small delay between the format detection and change.

After 7 days, I'm very happy!!! Just waiting for my DVD player.

(All of my tests are in 5.1. My house isn't made to properly setup 7.1 :-( )

Glad to hear it's bringing you the enjoyment it should.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

I must add that I have the lower wattage HK AVR 320 (couple of years old) and have had no reliability problems. I think the reliability issue was around 7-10 years ago. Since then, I have heard very few reliability complaints. I can say that I have been very happy with my HK. It has all the features that I need including preouts (which many receivers lack). The bass management is much better than most receivers. It has the SPL mic built into the remote. It allows you to set speaker levels for each music mode or globally. Anyway, you get the point. Put it this way, the manual is so extensive that I still learn things from perusing it time to time. I'm not sure about the Yamaha 1400 or 2400 but I had a sales rep at best buy tell me that the HTR series are pieces of junk and that about 20% of them come back for repair. With that said, I would highly recommend the HK AVR-630.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    That's odd that the Best Buy rep would tell you that 20% of Yammies HTR line came back for repair. Those numbers would mean bankruptcy for just about any business model. It's even more perplexing since I've had the opportunity to look inside several HTR models and their RX-V cousins side by side on the same table. You'll find them to be virtually identical with a few minor exceptions. The Best Buy I was at in Atlanta last week swore by their Yamaha's as being the absolute best quality receiver they carried. That being said, he also said that the bestselling Sonys and Kenwoods they offer rarely come back for service concerns, and that over half of all receiver returns are easily attributed to a customer not understanding the manual or how to properly use the receiver.
    Personally, I have no doubt that most reputable brand name components will live up to standards. I believe Yamaha probably has the best track record, but how much is that really worth? It's not like 50% of even the worst brands come back for return. I'd suspect event he crappiest Sony's have 90% success rate. We only hear the horror stories. Few people will actually take the time to say "I've had my receiver for 5 years and it's functioned properly."
    I know so many people with entry level Panasonic, Sony, Technics, and Kenwood receivers that push these things harder than they should and still don't have problems. I also own a 2003 Acura that's on it's 3rd transmission and 2nd air conditioning compressor. Take that for what it's worth.

Forum Regular
    Reliability is a huge issue. I don't know if I would believe any salesperson about the reliability of the units they sell or don't sell. It's their job to sell. Buy what you feel is the best unit to fit your needs. In fact, I wish a manufacture would build a receiver with a volume knob, a couple set of componet inputs, and plenty of power. The least amount of gadgets the better the reliability in my opinion.

Thread Information