Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nightflier

Question about XLR

Can I use ProAudio XLR (i.e. mic) cables as standard XLR cables from my stereo preamp to my amp? I'm only asking because the price difference is substantial.

P.S. My amp's XLR inputs are wired the standard way, not reversed.

You certainly can. I use good quality mic cables between my preamp and amp. I am very happy with them especially considering the price. I would think the shielding is as good as any premium cable due to the environment that they are generally used in.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    LDB? Is that you LDB? I thought you might've gotten buried under a glacier. What's up bud?

nightflier
    Great, some of these boutique XLR cables are ridiculously expensive and since I really don't believe there's much difference between similarly-constructed cables, regardless of price or manufacturer, then I might as well save a little and get plain old mic cables.

LDB, I did see that you're using Canare XLRs as well. Any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    LDB? Is that you LDB? I thought you might've gotten buried under a glacier. What's up bud?

Howdy Rich,Ya know how it goes,had to wait for global warming to take care of my icy confinement.

Just been busy with a new job and all that good stuff. I've been lurking but I do most of my web business from the living room where I don't have a keyboard, only a mouse.

Take care of yourself mon ami.

Peez Out

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    LDB, I did see that you're using Canare XLRs as well. Any difference?
    NF, These XLR's are the first set I've installed in my rig. The only comparison I could give you would be against standard RCA cables and of course that is no contest. One of these days I might borrow a premium set of XLRs to compare but I afraid my system probably won't reveal the difference (if they exist) anyway. Maybe cause for a speaker upgrade?? I'm thinking ML or Theils at this point.

Cheers,

LDB

nightflier

How about PSB Synchronys?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Maybe cause for a speaker upgrade?? I'm thinking ML or Theils at this point.
    Thanks for adding to my peace of mind about XLR cables. I just ordered a set from partsexpress and they should be here soon.

P.S. I heard a pair of the 3.7's that a friend of mine purchased from Crutchfield (from their open-box selection, but still wayyyy over-priced IMO), but they do sound fantastic nonetheless. Probably the most revealing speaker I've ever heard (so not really my cup-o-tea), but for people who have warm-sounding systems, maybe just the ticket. He has two sealed subs as well, so he can fill the bottom up pretty well, but without the subs they are a bit thin, too. While they are great speakers, I think at $10K, they ought to give one more across the frequency range.

I've never really like the ML sound too much, I think the difficulty of matching the bass driver with the electrostatic panels maybe leaves a hole in the music somewhere, and that's why they don't come together for me. I've been told that the higher-end MLs are much better, but I haven't heard them. That said, I'm not really a fan of panel speakers period. I've been wrestling with a pair of Maggies for a while now and while I've been able to tweak them a bit, I'm still not getting that panel magic.

Since you have the PSB Stratos, how about the Synchronys? They are a lot less than the Thiels and probably easier to match, especially since you know the PSB sound. Maybe Paul will give you a discount for being a loyal customer?

Thanks for the comments NF. My listening habits at this point in my life tend to lean towards the analytical side anyway (must be the engineer in me).

P.S. I heard a pair of the 3.7's that a friend of mine purchased from Crutchfield (from their open-box selection, but still wayyyy over-priced IMO), but they do sound fantastic nonetheless. Probably the most revealing speaker I've ever heard (so not really my cup-o-tea), but for people who have warm-sounding systems, maybe just the ticket. He has two sealed subs as well, so he can fill the bottom up pretty well, but without the subs they are a bit thin, too. While they are great speakers, I think at $10K, they ought to give one more across the frequency range.
    Pricey yes, but I do like the Theil sound and I run duo subs anyway. I wasn't necessary thinking about the 3.7s (not crazy 'bout the looks) tho and if I do go with 3.7s I would look at preloved units.

I've never really like the ML sound too much, I think the difficulty of matching the bass driver with the electrostatic panels maybe leaves a hole in the music somewhere, and that's why they don't come together for me. I've been told that the higher-end MLs are much better, but I haven't heard them. That said, I'm not really a fan of panel speakers period. I've been wrestling with a pair of Maggies for a while now and while I've been able to tweak them a bit, I'm still not getting that panel magic.
    But, But...they're MLs, haha (notice the correct usage of "they're)

Since you have the PSB Stratos, how about the Synchronys? They are a lot less than the Thiels and probably easier to match, especially since you know the PSB sound. Maybe Paul will give you a discount for being a loyal customer?
    Oh ya, the Syncs are definitely on the list when I get serious about the Speaker upgrade.

Cheers

LDB

Ajani
    if I do go with 3.7s I would look at preloved units.
    Why would you want someone to make love to your speakers? Wouldn't that just leave the Ports sticky?

Anyway, the Synchrony 1 sounds like what you might be looking for come upgrade time... I'd love to hear a pair of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Why would you want someone to make love to your speakers? Wouldn't that just leave the Ports sticky?
    LOL, I was thinking that this actually would increase the coefficient of friction, thereby, creating turbulent flow which would reduce port "chuffing".

Anyway, the Synchrony 1 sounds like what you might be looking for come upgrade time... I'd love to hear a pair of them...
    That's nasty Ajani!!!

Ajani
    LOL, I was thinking that this actually would increase the coefficient of friction, thereby, creating turbulent flow which would reduce port "chuffing".
    The truly sick part is that from an Audiophile perspective, that almost makes sense...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    That's nasty Ajani!!!
    Nasty??? We're just discussing the benefits of buying "used" gear...

Nasty??? We're just discussing the benefits of buying "used" gear...
    LOL
    The 3.7's don't even have ports... Can't make love to them
    Unless you want to strip your you know what on the bind... ok I'll stop there this is going to get out of hand

As usual ...

Thanks for adding to my peace of mind about XLR cables. I just ordered a set from partsexpress and they should be here soon.
    Blue Jeans Cable offers XLR options too. I have a 6' pair from them that are working fine connecting my preamp to my monoblocs.

I was hoping you wouldn't stumble across this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Blue Jeans Cable offers XLR options too. I have a 6' pair from them that are working fine connecting my preamp to my monoblocs.
    Is your system fully balanced?

nightflier
    I was going to make some off-color comment about sloppy seconds, but decided with this instead: ...and another reason not to buy rear-ported speakers.

Seriously, though, Ajani, you changed your avatar. Did you get a new piece of gear?

Feanor: which BJ cables did you get? I have a pair of fancy ones I've been using with the Monarchys and as soon as the generic ones come, I'll compare. Probably won't hear any difference, but we'll see. According to AudioQuest, there's a world of difference between fancy ones (i.e. theirs) and the basic ones, so aside from construction quality, I'm curious to see, I mean hear, if they're right about that.

As I recall

Feanor: which BJ cables did you get? I have a pair of fancy ones I've been using with the Monarchys and as soon as the generic ones come, I'll compare. Probably won't hear any difference, but we'll see. According to AudioQuest, there's a world of difference between fancy ones (i.e. theirs) and the basic ones, so aside from construction quality, I'm curious to see, I mean hear, if they're right about that.
    'Flier, as I recall I got the Belden 1800F with Neutrix connectors.

Yes, I'll be interested to hear you opinion about sound differences from AudioQuest. I'd say you won't hear a difference nor that the diff is just your imagination. After all, I just admitted to hearing differences in speaker fuses, generic @ $0.20 versus HiFi-Tuning @ $60.00.

Yes, it is

I was hoping you wouldn't stumble across this thread

Is your system fully balanced?
    That is, my Sonic Frontier LINE 1 preamp and Monarchy SM-70 Pro amps are fully balanced.

Ajani
    Seriously, though, Ajani, you changed your avatar. Did you get a new piece of gear?
    Nope... I'm just dreaming about a Naim Nait XS or 5i...

Nope... I'm just dreaming about a Naim Nait XS or 5i...
    Dream on then my friend, dream on... 'cause they ain't gonna come soon

I was going to make some off-color comment about sloppy seconds, but decided with this instead: ...and another reason not to buy rear-ported speakers.
    So you're saying there's nothing wrong with used front-ported speaks?

nightflier

Ha ha

So you're saying there's nothing wrong with used front-ported speaks?
    I think you'd be best off with the unported Thiels.

This thread is going to make people question every used purchase they've made. I mean do we really know if someone wasn't picking their nose right before they last turned that volume knob, or whether they washed their hands after using the bathroom, or whether that's just dust or someone had really bad dandruff?

...Time to get the brushes, wipes, and liquid soap out.

Hey NF, get those mic cables yet?

nightflier
    Yes, they are sitting, in the package in my TV/Audio room. 'Been there for two weeks. Aside from watching 24 last night, I hadn't been in there for a week. It's just too busy this time of year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information