Forum Regular

Question Harman kardon AVR7200 question

I have the Harman Kardon AVR7200 and was wondering how to tweek it for H/T listening?? I have Bose 701's up front, 301's for rear surround, AM5 for back surround and the VCS10 for center channel. What do i need to do to get the center volume louder in movie mode?? I know this receiver has enough power. Also i am using all Monster Cable and have Monster Coax on the Onkyo DVD player. Should i use Optical? Do i need to buy a test disc?? Please help, i feel i am being short changed.....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J2phat4u
    I have the Harman Kardon AVR7200 and was wondering how to tweek it for H/T listening?? I have Bose 701's up front, 301's for rear surround, AM5 for back surround and the VCS10 for center channel. What do i need to do to get the center volume louder in movie mode?? I know this receiver has enough power. Also i am using all Monster Cable and have Monster Coax on the Onkyo DVD player. Should i use Optical? Do i need to buy a test disc?? Please help, i feel i am being short changed.....
    Sounds like you have an fantastic set up. For some reason it always seems a receiver loses impact when it goes to multi-channel mode. This is what I would recommend: Using your test signal level out your center channel to 0db. Then let the signal cycle through and listen to the sound while sitting in the center. Decrease your main and surround speakers a couple steps at a time so you notice a difference. Then go back and listen to the DVD that you are using as a reference. Continue this until you acheive the desired results. You might find that you will have to increase the volume level a little to get the same sound pressure level. Doesn't matter, it's better to decrease the level of your speakers then increase. Don't stress over the cables. Hope this helps out.

Quote Originally Posted by J2phat4u
    THe best way to gain max performance is to purchase a Radio Shack spl meter ($35us) and use this to set your speaker volume level. Youi will benefit from a test disc, but it's not necessary to set your speakers. The receiver has a built-in test signal so use this with your spl sound meter. It will make a huge performance increase. Otherwise, If your center isn't loud enough, go through the speaker setup menu and increase just that speaker level. You should also go through the menu and set the speaker distance to your listening position. If your receiver is similar to my AVR525, you'll need to adjust each input (cable, CD, DVD) because each can be customized. Plus, your can only adjust Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS when a movie is playing in THAT mode. So play a dvd in DD5.1 and then enter the HK menu to make adjustments.

One final thought, re-read the owner's manual, each time i read through a piece of it, i learn something new...

If that doesn't work, re-cheak your speaker connections..if your + and - are crossed, then that speaker will sound much lower. Peace.

Thread Information