Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

I heard Shearwater on the radio yesterday.

Does that mean y'all have to start hating on them?

I wasn't really paying close attention because (a) it was the radio, and (b) I didn't know it was Shearwater until after the song finished. But from what I was able to recall from my sub-concious, I think I liked it. It was kinda Radiohead-ish without sounding like Radiohead. Is that about right?

Anyway, it's in the shopping cart waiting for me to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It was kinda Radiohead-ish without sounding like Radiohead. Is that about right?
    Sure. They are less of a brit-pop type of guitar band than Radiohead, harkening back more to something like Jethro Tull (especially on this latest Rook) as opposed to the Pink Floyd roots of Radiohead. But there are definite similarities as they both have absorbed a lot from the adventurous sounds of latter period Talk Talk, and the Buckleys, especially Jeff. And they are both fronted by technically very good singers, though both sing in a higher range that some don't like. Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater has an amazing voice. Very powerful music, often understated, but visionary. Lots of cool imagery in the words and music, and incredible production work too. Real solid package, and pretty engaging for something that is quite eclectic by today's standards, but still not something that will appeal to us all, so they are probably safe from the hate (though they did do some gigs opening for Coldplay this year )

Been listening a lot to the Radar Bros. lately, especially And the Surrounding Mountains. Love that record. Has the basic sound throughout that defines all of their music, and what leads some to criticize them for putting out the same record over and over, but I think ... Mountains really soars above that critique. Another one with some pretty nice production and sound, and some strange lyrical imagery.

That's cool. I wished we had stations like that. I wonder which Shearwater tune it was...

You know...the more I listen to Rook, the more I like Palo Santo. I made a Jeff Buckley connection a few months back as well (except I think it was under the Van Occupanther moniker), but I don't think I hear any Tull similarities.

I saw that Radar Bros in the store the other day...maybe I'll get them to crack it open for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I made a Jeff Buckley connection a few months back as well (except I think it was under the Van Occupanther moniker), but I don't think I hear any Tull similarities.
    Yea, the Buckley comparison is pretty much automatic, but I am reminded of Tull, not so much the sound, but the style, and the swings in style, from the delicacy of something like Mother Goose to the drive of Locomotive Breath. No prominent flute shenanigans from Shearwater though, thankfully

You may be right though, a quick google points to a true dearth of Tull comparisons, maybe only one or two. Oh well ... you can find a lot of mind-blown listeners ... http://www.quarterlifeparty.com/shea...at-mind-blown/

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    That's cool. I wished we had stations like that. I wonder which Shearwater tune it was...
    Trust me when I say that it was probably the only good tune that they played all day. The station we were listening to has a show that plays new music Mon - Wed at 9pm. That's what we had on.

But if you want to hear a good radio show (on the same station) listen to the Dave Marsden Theatre here Thursdays and Fridays from 7:00 - midnight. That's the only radio show that I try to make a point of tuning in to. Marsden's got a music collection of b-sides, strange cuts, and booklegs that will blow your mind! And he's quite a unique personality. A bit of a throwback to the old days of personalities like Wolfman Jack and Casey Casem.

You might want to check out this web radio station...

You know...the more I listen to Rook, the more I like Palo Santo. I made a Jeff Buckley connection a few months back as well (except I think it was under the Van Occupanther moniker), but I don't think I hear any Tull similarities.

I saw that Radar Bros in the store the other day...maybe I'll get them to crack it open for next week.
    ...that I raved about years back. It's Woxy.com and they play a lot of the stuff we discuss on RR, and plenty more we don't. While I'm sure you were referring to something you could pull in on your car stereo, I can't help you there. We do have WXPN in my area, and they have some great stuff on some of the time, but they get too bogged down with singer/songwriter crap, like a page out of Paste magazine.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I freakin' hate Shearwater now. Whatta bunch of sellouts!

Have you guys heard the Screaming Blue Kiriakis yet? They've been together for about seventeen minutes now. A real supergroup I tell ya, comprised of former members of the now-defunct bands Hipster TRagic, Boy Wear Girl Jeans, and My Buddy Holly Glasses.

Cool stuff...for now.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

You mean the new one, Auditorium? I haven't talked much about it yet since it is still very new to me, maybe only 3 listens, but getting better and better, and I liked it a lot from go. Not quite as sweeping as Mountains, but still similar sounding. Moves a little slowly for some, but I live for the little details, the slight textures, shades of color, the shimmer. Kinda gets in my head ... and stays. Good record. They held down the compression on this one too, the last one (Fallen Leaf) was just way too loud, hurts the music. This one dials it back down so you get some nice bass and in room presence. Not as good as it could be, nothing is anymore, but far better than the sound quality of most pop/rock music you are gonna hear on CD in 2008.

Thread Information