Forum Regular

Mission 770 Freedom lover..!

Hi all, after 22 years with the Mission 737R my system is now benefitting from an 'Evilbay' bargain upgrade to the 770F; which were beyond my means years ago..
    The impression is of a more lifelike vocal, tonal improvements, goodbye to the fierce treble of the 737R, even more detail, and a kick like a donkey low down from that Argonaut bass/midrange driver, LOVE THESE, stunned and happy with £83 price tag..
    Partnered with the Cambridge 640C v2, and my 24 year old NAD 3150; would appreciate advise as to; where do I go from here(keeping the Missions) ie which cd player and amp.. Naim?

Thanks in advance
    Paul/runt

Marantz SA8003 SACDP would be my choice for a CDP or the Cambridge Audio 740c/840c if you want a brighter sound. The Marantz has a warmer more analog sound and can play 2ch SACD.
    It would be a good match for the Mission's which I have always felt to lean on the bright side when a looked at them many moons ago.

For lower priced units consider the Marantz 5003 CDP.

If your looking for an amp as well and like Cambridge audio consider the well reviewed 740A and 840A integrated amps. An all Cambridge system would be nice. They make nice quality equipment at good prices. I have the 840c CDP and its well made and a bargain at its price although in November its going up in price $200 US.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

Question

Thanks Blackraven, funnily enough I tried the Cambridge 840c, found the bass less well defined than the cheaper 640c..!
    So, went for the 640c although that seems weird, as to amp, I'd like to try the 840 against the Naim Nait 5i, or perhaps Naim pre/power set up..?

Thread Information