Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question First album you bought.

What was the first album you bought??

Although my mind get foggy going back twenty some odd years, but I think my first album was Joe Cocker's Greatest Hits in summer of 1980.

First casette tape was back in elementary school.. Brian Adams, Into the Fire... and my first CD was a Beach Boys compilation album sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. First LP was purchased last year, Amy Winehouse, Back to Black.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Suspended

I played this album on my family's first record player, which I eventually claimed as my own. I still have this album purchased when new.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 10-17-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I was in Vietnam in 1969. I had just bought my first turntable, a Dual 1019. I got my first album at the Army PX. Blues From Laurel Canyon by British blues legend John Mayall. I loved it and still have it and play it sometimes.

RR6
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think we've had this question a couple of times over the years, and I may have answered it different both times. I was given a bunch of albums by my brother, so its kinda a blur anyway, but I think my first album purchase was Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits. Or it coulda been Against The Wind by Bob Seger...maybe...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well being the cheap bast#@# that I my early albums were given to me or I borrowed other people's and made tapes. However the first album I bought (still have it) was Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" never have tired of it in 30+ years.......

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I was in Vietnam in 1969. I had just bought my first turntable, a Dual 1019. I got my first album at the Army PX. Blues From Laurel Canyon by British blues legend John Mayall. I loved it and still have it and play it sometimes.

RR6
    Those Dual 1019's must have been a bargain at the PX back then because my Dad bought his around the same time when he was there in 67-68. I have talked to a few other "audio vets" who mentioned picking up 1019's during that era while in Vietnam. I inherited my Dad's a few years back and it is built like a tank and keeps on spinning.....

So-o-o long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    What was the first album you bought??

I really don't remember. Actually I was a bit of a late starter musically. And I didn't own any play back equipment until after I left college; my first equipment was a Sony cassette player bought around 1970. I bought some precorded cassettes but these are long gone.

My first LPs came in '70 or '71. I don't remember what they were, but I was into Folk. My first might have been one these Baez or perhaps a Gordon Lightfoot; (these days I gag at the thought of listening to anything Lightfoot). I still have these LPs though I doubt I've listened to the vinyl in 20 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wish I could have been cool, but alas...my first album purchase was Have You Never Been Mellow by Olivia Newton-John.

Last edited by 02audionoob; 10-18-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I had a bunch of kiddie albums that my parents bought me...Captain Kangaroo and other such stuff. But my first real rock album purchased with my own money was Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. I think that I was around 12. For some reason it was in the delete bin, cheap and I liked the album cover so I bought it. I barely even knew who David Bowie was. It changed my life.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I remember going to a record store with my Dad and him saying that my sis. and I could each pick 2. I got Billy Joel 'The Stranger' and Queen's 'Flash Gordon' soundtrack. My sis. got Village People and somethin' else.
    My first cd was John Mayall 'The Turning Point'...didn't get a cd player for about a year after that and, man, did it sound good after that year of build-up. Actually, I need to give that a spin tonight...amazing album. I'll probably not be spinnin' Flash Gordon again anytime soon.

Queen II was my 1st album......I still have it and I wore it out that for sure. The cd sounds a lot cleaner.
    Styx

Main: Sansui G-7500, Technics SL-1700 (AT120E/Shure M97eX), Kenwood KD-2070 (Empire 5000HPT/Stanton 681EEE), Teac V-970X, Kenwood CD-206, Pioneer SR-303 & RG-9, Klipsch RF-3/EPI Magnus CD-55

L/R: HK-3490, HK FL-8385, HK Bridge II, Polk Monitor 70, Polk PSW-110 (2)

Suspended
    Technically I guess the first album I remember buying was Cream, Goodbye, which I got at a yard sale. I was either in 5th or 6th grade and only had one of those suitcase style record players. I really wasn't that cool so young, I only knew Cream by name but thought I was when I played that and had my green light bulb in, gotta love them 70's man. I believe my first virgin vinyl from a store nicely sealed was a few years down the road and it was either Jeff Beck's, Wired or ZZ Top, Fandango. I got them both around the same time. I still have that Fandango album but unloaded the Jeff Beck and bought it on the new amazing format called CD a while after it rolled out. My first CD was Prince, Purple Rain which the guy gave me when I bought my first CD player.

Forum Regular
    Mine was the Birds, the Bees and the Monkees in the summer of 1968. The start of a 40 year love affair with music.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

A K-Tel album with the theme from Batman(tv series) It was 1965,I was 9yrs old. I played that LP everyday that summer.

Alan
    Bovina Sancta

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Mine was the Birds, the Bees and the Monkees in the summer of 1968. The start of a 40 year love affair with music.

bill
    Hey Bill, Nice system.
    Bovina Sancta

Thanks everyone. It is fun reading everybody’s story about their first adventure into buying albums.

I think for most of us who don’t remember for sure the exact first album bought might be that we may have inherited alot of albums from a family member, and don’t remember whether we bought or inherited it

Jonnyhambone, I've got the Mayall The Turning Point LP album also. He is amazing and still performing at age 75 !!!

http://www.johnmayall.com/home.html

Mr. Peabody, I've also got the Goodbye album by Cream (I'm So Glad). My favorite Cream tune ever is their cover of Crossroads. I can play my CD copy set to repeat and listen to that song all day!

Other artists who have covered the song Cross Road Blues (Crossroads):

The Doors during their 1970 Live in Detroit Concert/CD
    Cowboy Junkies
    Dion on Bronx in Blue 2006
    Free (live)
    Elmore James
    Lynyrd Skynyrd (live)
    Rush
    Ten Years After
    The Allman Joys
    The Hamsters
    Van Halen (live)
    Steve Miller Band (live)
    Molly Hatchet (live)
    Smak (live)
    Stephen Stills (Indiana University's Assembly Hall, Indiana, USA - 19 October 1972)
    Jeff Berlin on Pump It 1986
    Page & Plant (live)

Lots of good memories in these posts. Thanks Smokey.

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 10-19-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Suspended
    I think my favorite Cream is still White Room. I still have a vinyl copy of Steel Wheels with Cross Roads.

Good to see you MM1999, I think it's been a while. The shop here in town I deal with the most picked up Anthem recently. They have the Statement gear on display, I'm going to have to get in there. Not that I could afford that but I'd like to hear it. They also had a Boulder pre and power amp to try. I didn't know it and they had to send the preamp back. They still have the amp and say they should get the preamp back some time in the future. I think they said the amp was like $22k. Boulder is supposed to be theee shtuff though. Like there's a lot of ultra expensive gear out there but Boulder is the stuff that could blow the theory of diminishing returns. I'll hopefully hear some day.

Have you ever noticed how many excellent classic albums were released in 1969? That seems to be a stand out year for R&R.

First album (LP): Dark Side of the Moon
    First CD: Synchronicity

Been down hill since....Thank God!

The first one was The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour in about 1972. I remember I was eleven and for some reason I made a cone out of a sheet of paper, stuck a sewing needle through the narrow end and held it on the record to see if it would play. It did! Then my mom came in and told me to stop because it was bad for the record.

My first piece of hi-fi advice. Thanks, Mom!

I still have that record but it sounds hammered for some reason.

Genius is seldom recognized until it's too late....

Sounds like your mom was astute enough to know better!

Forum Regular
    My first LP was the Beatles "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (what else?). I bought it in 1970 when I was 15 years old, and I still have it (it has the foldout sleeve with the photo of the Beatles in their Sgt Pepper uniforms, and the Sgt Pepper cutouts).
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

42 Regular
    I had a few albums back when I was a kid, but they were mostly passing childish impulse gimme-gimmes, not worth mentioning.

But I distinctly recall a day back in 1975 when my brother and I decided we were going to be music fans and resolved to pool our allowance resources for the purpose of buying record albums. The first disc we got was Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Pictures at an Exhibition...followed shortly by The Eagles Great Hits. Led Zeppelin Presence and Aerosmith's first album weren't long after that.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Emesbee, your signature: "All we are saying, is give peas a chance" reminds me of a bumper sticker I have seen up here in the States:

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

RR6

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information