AR Newbie Registered Member

Please advise me how to sell my great Sony ES system

Hello Everyone ,
    I have a lovingly used Sony ES sound system with the TA-N900ES power amp, Av control amplifier (TA-E9000ES), Sony Tuner (ST-SA50ES), Sony SACD/DVD player (DVP_NS500V) , Sony VCR (SLV-N81) the Sony remorte commander (RM-TP501E) and 6 KLIPSH speakers: 2-RF3- Front floorstanding speakers, 1 RC-3 center speaker, 2 RS-3 side speakers and 1 KSW12 powered subwoofer, connected with lots of gold tipped monster cable. I love this sound, but I am moving into a very small place and need to sell my system. It appears that the classified on this site list individual components. Is that how I should sell my system? Can I list it all together? I paid over $8000 for everything new, how should I price it now? Can anyone suggest how to best sell what I have? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Laura

It's all about the music. Doc Sage's Avatar
    Hello Laura,
    This is only my recommendation. I have purchase and sold many stereo systems over the years and this is how I would do this.

All of the followings I would price as a package deal - Sony ES sound system with the TA-N900ES power amp, Av control amplifier (TA-E9000ES), Sony Tuner (ST-SA50ES) and the Sony remorte commander (RM-TP501E).

These two I would price separately - Sony SACD/DVD player (DVP_NS500V) & Sony VCR (SLV-N81)

The speakers and the cable can be grouped together - 6 KLIPSH speakers: 2-RF3- Front floorstanding speakers, 1 RC-3 center speaker, 2 RS-3 side speakers and 1 KSW12 powered subwoofer, connected with lots of gold tipped monster cable

For prices: I would go 50% of the retail price on the first group. If you see little action over a 4 week period, I would reduce by 10%, every 2 weeks if you are in a rush to sell quick.

The SACD/DVD can go for 40% of the retail price. It is a mechanical device and will have much more wear. The VCR will go for very little so I would give it free to the SACD/DVD purchaser.

The speaker package could start at 60% of retail and, after a couple weeks, I would reduce by 10% every couple weeks. Question, any stands for the side speakers?

Have fun,
    Doc Sage

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Laura, you've just received some very good advice. Good luck with the sale. You might also try the classifieds in Audiogon, AVSForums, any of the Home Theater sites or Craigslist.

--sticks
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thank you for the advise.

Thank you for helping me with this. YOUr advise sounds very reasonable, and I will follow it. The side speakers are mounted high on the wall, Thats the kind of mount, no stands. Thanks again, Laura

If you dont mind me asking. How come your selling all the audio gear?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by laurastrickland
    Hello Everyone ,
    I have a lovingly used Sony ES sound system with the TA-N900ES power amp, Av control amplifier (TA-E9000ES), Sony Tuner (ST-SA50ES), Sony SACD/DVD player (DVP_NS500V) , Sony VCR (SLV-N81) the Sony remorte commander (RM-TP501E) and 6 KLIPSH speakers: 2-RF3- Front floorstanding speakers, 1 RC-3 center speaker, 2 RS-3 side speakers and 1 KSW12 powered subwoofer, connected with lots of gold tipped monster cable. I love this sound, but I am moving into a very small place and need to sell my system. It appears that the classified on this site list individual components. Is that how I should sell my system? Can I list it all together? I paid over $8000 for everything new, how should I price it now? Can anyone suggest how to best sell what I have? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Laura
    Simple really.
    First you buy a case of whiskey...
    Or you could do like a lot on this site, pack it in a closet always planning to sell it for the future...
    AND ten years go by...
    If you do decide to sell I have one word for ya...EBAY.
    The market for such gear localy is usually quite small, ebay and craigslist is usually the way to go.
    You might be able to find a local TV or HI-FI shop that will agree to sell it for a percentage. This is the easiest way but you wont make near as much
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    If you dont mind me asking. How come your selling all the audio gear?

We are moving into a very small place, and there is nowhere to put the big system, no good place to store it for the future and I really need some cash. Downsizing.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Hi Laura, This might be jumping ahead a little but just keep this in your back pocket. I owned the original Energy Take Five system (actually two sets) and they were very highly rated and excellent for small apartments and condos. This new version has improved satellites (they were great before), a correctly designed center channel and a small sub that is still superb. An 8" sub that is -3dB's at 30Hz and almost flat up to 180Hz (-3dB) is amazing. I know nothing short of $1000 or so in a small satellite/sub system that will match these.

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/608energy/

Great advice from Doc Sage. Good luck.

RR6

Suspended
    Laura, Kudos on the hardware. Great choices. I work for Sony and we have some of the same hardware in our audio/video authoring suites. We don't have the VCR (we manufacture discs), the tuner or the speakers. No, our speakers are not Sony. We use Dunlavy SCIVs, Dynaudio and Genelec for near-field monitoring. We also have custom in-wall units which include 15" woofers and large wooden horns. Doc Sage gave great advice. I'd follow it.

As I'm about ready to foray into the world of HDTV, I have been researching products incessantly since early September because I want to make the best decision possible. I'm in somewhat of an unusual position too, because my receiver was fairly old, and didn't have any HDTV functionality, and on top of that, took a lightning strike so I just decided to junk it and start over.

That left me with two Klipsch RB-5 speakers that were my fronts and a Klipsch LF-10 subwoofer. I had originally thought I'd just buy a center channel for now, but if you are interested in splitting up half your speakers I'd be very interested in talking with you about the two RF-3's and the RC-3. I'm assuming (cough) that those would be a good match up with my existing speakers? I guess the best thing to do would be to use your (clearly superior) RF-3's as my new fronts and then put my RB-5's as rears? Sorry, I'm getting ahead of things here.

Thread Information