Thread: AV Receivers

ST
    Forum Regular

AV Receivers

I am new to this forum. I wanted to asked why many manufacturers do not build their AV receivers with speaker output in various ohms. I really like the Yamaha RX1400. But the output is 8ohms. The only manufacturer I see that spec its output is a Denon 3083: 6-8ohms.

I have a pair of Infiniti Kappa 600 speakers (6ohms). Can the Yamaha drives these speakers cleanly and clearly? I would like to spend up to $1k for an AV receiver that could drive the speakers. Any recommendation an other brand?

Thanks
    ST

In a word... yes...

Modern AV receivers (assuming its a "decent" one) can safely and effectively speakers from 4 to 8 Ohms. Just don't overdrive the speakers no matter what their loading or rating and you'll be fine...

Da Worfster

I'm a happy owner of a Yamaha RX-V3300 and it has an impedance selector switch: you can switch between 4 and 8 ohms, depending on the speaker configuration. The owner of my local audio dealer told me that the ohm selector is primarily for the main speakers. I know that the 3300 is a bit pricier (I myself got it at an insanely low price), but if you can swing it, it may be worth it to you. At least look into it. You can download the owner's manual through the yamaha website.

Happy receiver hunting.

Forum Regular

An RXV1400 will drive a 4 ohm load all day long

I think it has a switch on the back, but DON'T use it unless you have problems with the 8 ohm setting. If you have a shutdown problem (which I doubt, unless it is being abused) power the unit down and flip the switch.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information