Suspended

Iron Man on BD: Out Today!

Who's got it? The "Ultimate 2 Disk Edition" is in stock right now at Amazon. I never saw it in the theater, but I suspect this BD is employing the latest & greatest Mastering so I think it'll look and sound great on my TV.

My impressions will follow soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Who's got it? The "Ultimate 2 Disk Edition" is in stock right now at Amazon. I never saw it in the theater, but I suspect this BD is employing the latest & greatest Mastering so I think it'll look and sound great on my TV.

My impressions will follow soon.
    This movie was great. I bought it and watched it last night. I never saw it in the theater so this was my first viewing. To me this was a very well done bluray. The sound blew me away.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Suspended
    Good to hear JeffKnob. Especially the part about the audio. This'll be the first Blu-ray movie for my collection.

Kam
    also... for the fans out there. i'll try and get the precise time, but when tony gets back from his first mission and jarvis is helping him remove the suit... in the background, on his workbench, is Captain America's shield... all red white and blue of it!
    /create

jvc
    For those that don't know............
    Watch all the way through the end credits. There's a little something extra. That's all I'm saying.

Yah.....

Nice "stinger" at the end of the credits. Have to wait for "The Hulk" DVD to come out before I get the crossover potential.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    YO! No spoilers please!

This was a great movie. I'm glad I had a chance to see it on the big screen. I can't wait to watch this on my little 60" Sony

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Nice "stinger" at the end of the credits. Have to wait for "The Hulk" DVD to come out before I get the crossover potential.

Da Worfster
    you want crossovers? i got your crossover right here...

Luke Cage 2009
    Doctor Strange 2010
    Ant-Man 2010
    Thor 2010
    Captain America 2010 (rumored Will Smith)
    Deathlok 2011
    The Avengers 2011
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    This was a great movie. I'm glad I had a chance to see it on the big screen. I can't wait to watch this on my little 60" Sony
    60" is little now?

My how times have changed. A few years back 32" seemed huge to me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    60" is little now?

My how times have changed. A few years back 32" seemed huge to me.
    Yep, we bought a 32" Panny Gao? I think it was over 10 years ago to go with the Pro-Logic A/V receiver and PSB Alphas I had...That was my first HT...
    I still get a bit teary eyed thinking about her...

The new 102" jobber is just over 4 x the size of the 51" RPTV we had. It's a perfect fit in our room.

But don't worry GM...you still win this whose ___ is bigger contest...

Oh...and I'm picking up Iron Man in a little over 2hrs...see, I stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yep, we bought a 32" Panny Gao? I think it was over 10 years ago to go with the Pro-Logic A/V receiver and PSB Alphas I had...That was my first HT...
    I still get a bit teary eyed thinking about her...

The new 102" jobber is just over 4 x the size of the 51" RPTV we had. It's a perfect fit in our room.

But don't worry GM...you still win this whose ___ is bigger contest...

Oh...and I'm picking up Iron Man in a little over 2hrs...see, I stay on topic.
    I wouldn't mind trading projectors & screens with you. (not anything else though)

How much you paying for the BR? It's looking like 25.95 on Amazon.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ahem....

YO! No spoilers please!
    Why should I curtail my discussion of the Marvel Comics Universe just cause your ass is too cheap to go out and see a movie from time to time? Henh? Hunh? Eh Wot?

Da "pokin' the sleepin' hound dog wit a stick" Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Why should I curtail my discussion of the Marvel Comics Universe just cause your ass is too cheap to go out and see a movie from time to time? Henh? Hunh? Eh Wot?

Da "pokin' the sleepin' hound dog wit a stick" Worfster
    Want me to put you on my ignore list?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I wouldn't mind trading projectors & screens with you. (not anything else though)

How much you paying for the BR? It's looking like 25.95 on Amazon.
    $29 here in Canada...best I've seen so far at least.
    Actually, the gap in DVD and BluRay prices seems to be on the decline...

Suspended
    I agree. "Bikini Destination - Triple Fantasy" is only $15 bucks.

Oh....

Want me to put you on my ignore list?
    Oh don't be such a tease you big Jesse.

Da Worfster

$29 here in Canada...best I've seen so far at least.
    Actually, the gap in DVD and BluRay prices seems to be on the decline...
    I don't know what the list prices were for the different versions of Iron Man, but a couple of days ago Warner did announce them for the DVD/Blu-ray releases of The Dark Knight (which comes out December 9th BTW). The price gap has definitely narrowed compared to just a few months ago when the Blu-ray list prices were routinely $10-$15 more than the DVD version.

Single-disc movie only DVD: $29
    Two-disc special edition DVD: $35
    Single-disc Blu-ray (which has all of the two-disc DVD's bonus features): $36

You can see that the Blu-ray price is now virtually the same as the two-disc DVD edition. Seems that the studios have decided to do away with the two-disc DVD editions at the typical $29 price point for most of their new releases, instead going to the two-tiered setup where the collector's edition goes on sale as a limited release at a $35 list price. That now gives them an intermediate price point, and the buyer sees that the Blu-ray costs only $1 more than the two-disc DVD set -- even if that price point remains $7 more than the long-standing $29 list price for most new studio DVD releases.

If the normal date-of-release loss leader pricing is in effect, that means that buyers can potentially find The Dark Knight Blu-ray for a street price of about $23 the week that it comes out. That could be a watershed moment for Blu-ray, as I can see a lot of families that already own HDTVs buying a Blu-ray player for the holidays just so they can watch The Dark Knight on Blu-ray.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I don't know what the list prices were for the different versions of Iron Man, but a couple of days ago Warner did announce them for the DVD/Blu-ray releases of The Dark Knight (which comes out December 9th BTW). The price gap has definitely narrowed compared to just a few months ago when the Blu-ray list prices were routinely $10-$15 more than the DVD version.

You can see that the Blu-ray price is now virtually the same as the two-disc DVD edition. Seems that the studios have decided to do away with the two-disc DVD editions at the typical $29 price point for most of their new releases, instead going to the two-tiered setup where the collector's edition goes on sale as a limited release at a $35 list price. That now gives them an intermediate price point, and the buyer sees that the Blu-ray costs only $1 more than the two-disc DVD set -- even if that price point remains $7 more than the long-standing $29 list price for most new studio DVD releases.

If the normal date-of-release loss leader pricing is in effect, that means that buyers can potentially find The Dark Knight Blu-ray for a street price of about $23 the week that it comes out. That could be a watershed moment for Blu-ray, as I can see a lot of families that already own HDTVs buying a Blu-ray player for the holidays just so they can watch The Dark Knight on Blu-ray.
    Well, how's this...I had to visit 6 different stores before I found Iron Man on BluRay. Everyone was sold out. Staff at two locations told me they always run out of decent titles on the first few days and that since September (the return of University students with student loans and summer job cash to spare) BluRay sales seems to be taking off faster than their regional managers think.

Much like DVD, I suspect BluRay is just going to take off at a crazy pace at some point.

Suspended

You betchya mister! x10.

"Watch Me Now!"

Well, how's this...I had to visit 6 different stores before I found Iron Man on BluRay. Everyone was sold out. Staff at two locations told me they always run out of decent titles on the first few days and that since September (the return of University students with student loans and summer job cash to spare) BluRay sales seems to be taking off faster than their regional managers think.

Much like DVD, I suspect BluRay is just going to take off at a crazy pace at some point.
    Six locations ... I guess you liked the movie, eh? I just picked up the two-disc DVD set, and will probably watch it this weekend.

The Blu-ray hardware prices have dipped below $300, and that was also when the DVD adoption rate began to really accelerate. Just yesterday, I saw Costco selling the Samsung BD-P1500 for $249, which now makes that cheaper than the list price on the Funai/Sylvania unit. Plus, console sales for the PS3 have managed to maintain a steady pace.

With the majority of TVs sold now HD-capable, it only makes sense that buyers also want HD sources. My in-laws just bought a 50" 1080p HDTV, and bought a Blu-ray player without even knowing it. They actually wanted a "good" DVD player to go with their TV, so they bought the Blu-ray player at Costco, thinking that it was simply a higher quality DVD player.

I suspect that no matter how many Blu-ray copies of The Dark Knight store managers order, it won't be enough. With that release timed around the holidays, a lot of people will be buying that title along with their first Blu-ray player.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Kam
    Six locations ... I guess you liked the movie, eh? I just picked up the two-disc DVD set, and will probably watch it this weekend.

The Blu-ray hardware prices have dipped below $300, and that was also when the DVD adoption rate began to really accelerate. Just yesterday, I saw Costco selling the Samsung BD-P1500 for $249, which now makes that cheaper than the list price on the Funai/Sylvania unit. Plus, console sales for the PS3 have managed to maintain a steady pace.

With the majority of TVs sold now HD-capable, it only makes sense that buyers also want HD sources. My in-laws just bought a 50" 1080p HDTV, and bought a Blu-ray player without even knowing it. They actually wanted a "good" DVD player to go with their TV, so they bought the Blu-ray player at Costco, thinking that it was simply a higher quality DVD player.

I suspect that no matter how many Blu-ray copies of The Dark Knight store managers order, it won't be enough. With that release timed around the holidays, a lot of people will be buying that title along with their first Blu-ray player.
    have you heard or do you know of any studies that showed an increase in sales for Playstation 3 because of the Spiderman 3 bundle? while TDK is a ridiculously huge hit compared to S3 and the demand for it will be far greater, i'm just curious if the PS3 sales had any boost with that Spidey bundle.
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    have you heard or do you know of any studies that showed an increase in sales for Playstation 3 because of the Spiderman 3 bundle? while TDK is a ridiculously huge hit compared to S3 and the demand for it will be far greater, i'm just curious if the PS3 sales had any boost with that Spidey bundle.
    I don't know. I haven't looked at the monthly sales charts in a while, but I guess it would make sense to see if an uptick in sales coincided with the Spidey 3 release. I know that the PS3 is now outselling the Xbox 360, but still way behind the Wii.

Normally, console sales can spike with the release of a blockbuster game (e.g., the uptick in Xbox 360 sales when Halo 3 came out), but I don't know if a movie bundle would have a comparable effect. But, my understanding is that a lot of people are indeed buying the PS3 for its Blu-ray and media center capabilities. I know that I will likely go with the PS3 as a Blu-ray player because of its constantly updated firmware and new features (the PS3 remains the cheapest Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player).

However, the biggest spikes in console sales have occurred after price drops. Right now, the 80GB PS3 goes for $400, and this year will probably see the highest holiday sales yet for the PS3 (the third holiday season is usually when the sales for a gaming console peak, since a large library of games will have already come out and the first round of price cuts will have already occurred). PS3 sales have been steady, but not spectacular. If Sony pushes the price point down to $300, then it will create a very big sales spike for the PS3. But, I don't expect that to happen until after the holidays.

I think that with Blu-ray players likely to dip below $200 for the holidays, and The Dark Knight situated to break all sales records for the Blu-ray format, it will be a huge season for the format.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    For those that don't know............
    Watch all the way through the end credits. There's a little something extra. That's all I'm saying.
    I did and yes... "a little something extra."

Thread Information