iPod transfer help

My apologies for posting so much about non-album related topics, of late; but I am in the process of puting back my computer system.

Since the flood, I've come to the realization that ALL of my harddrive files (i.e., iTunes) were utterly destroyed. I even paid a techie to try and retrieve things; but to no avail. It's all rusted and damaged. 320gigs worth. Ouch!!!

Any way, I do have my 62 gigs of music on my iPod.

The question is: How can I get it off of my iPod and onto my new computer's harddrive (and eventually onto the external hd that I'll be purchasing shortly)???

Any help in this matter is Greatly appreciated.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

N.P., Pinback's Autumn of the Seraphs (in celebration of the second day of Fall)

Next up, Shearwater's Palo Santo (both courtesy of my RR flood relievers - Thanks)

I forget exactly how to do this 'cause my iPod broke more than a year ago but . . . .

Tools>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden Files. Click on iPod in Windows Explorer. Eventually you will come to a Music folder. Copy it to whatever location you wish. The iPod renames the files to an alpha-numeric code so you really don't know exactly what you have until you import them back into iTunes but the music itself and the meta tag data is intact.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey Bill. I don't know the answer to your question, but I've just purchased a new iPod Touch and a MacBook, so I've been spending some time on the Apple support site and forums. I've read about some software packages that you can buy for cheap, like $10 - $20 that will do this. I haven't tried any of them but if Slosh's suggestion doesn't work, you may want to look into software.

Yeah, but I'm prolly the worst offender.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    My apologies for posting so much about non-album related topics
    Some of these RR people are pure techo-geeks, and it's so much easier to get a straight answer here than most other places. I do have to say I just solved my own Outlook problems (no thanks to Comcast) by doing a Google search and I was good to go in minutes. That was probably a record for me.

Swish

P.S. Enjoy the Pinback at Shearwater cds! Both are personal faves that I'll take credit for sending.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    If you're doing this on a Mac, you can to go into the Terminal application and do it with text commands. There's probably 3rd party applications that will do this for you but this works.

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/01/termi...-on-your-ipod/

make sure you read it all first.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Actually, this one might be better

http://www.applesource.com.au/ipod/s...9287603,00.htm

There is a 3rd party software called "iPodRip" for about $10 that is a simple plug in and download the iPod to your HD software. It saved my butt once. It works, it's easy.

http://www.ipodrip.com/

PC-bound like Prometheus

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    If you're doing this on a Mac.
    Unfortunately I don't have a mac. I have a pc.

Any suggestions for recovery via a pc??

All of your ideas are, no doubt, greatly greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

Read my post again.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular
    Seeing as how a lot of third party software usually exists to execute tasks that most people don't know about or are not savvy enough to do on their own, your instructions make perfect sense Slosh. Since the renamed files are actually tagged they should have all of their info embedded .

Thx for the tip...I just hope I never need to do it myself!
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

toool of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I forget exactly how to do this 'cause my iPod broke more than a year ago but . . . .

Tools>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden Files. Click on iPod in Windows Explorer. Eventually you will come to a Music folder. Copy it to whatever location you wish. The iPod renames the files to an alpha-numeric code so you really don't know exactly what you have until you import them back into iTunes but the music itself and the meta tag data is intact.
    Hey Slosh,

By "Tools" are you referring to the Admin tools or the "tools" bar in mozilla or internet explorer.

I feel like a tool asking this,

Bill

Windows tools (Start>My Computer>Tools, etc.). The iPod folders are normally hidden in Windows Explorer. You just need to be able to see them so you can navigate to where the music folders are stored so you can copy to your computer.

NP: Andrew Bird - Soldier On
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information