Forum Regular

Wharfedale Diamond 9.4?

I ran into the opportunity to get a pair of 9.4's for $300 USD. Anybody heard them? I have no way of auditioning them, but I can return them minus shipping charges within 30 days. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Mark

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have the Diamond 8.3, which is the equivalent speaker from the prior generation. I liked them very much; although I have since changed to Maggies in my main system, I have them in a backup/game system inthe basement. Nice smooth highs, slightly recessed midrange, adequate bass which tightened up nicely when I added sand to the cabinets for mass loading. I can't imagine doing much better for the $$.

Forum Regular
    I just received the 9.4's a couple of days ago. I am very happy so far. Very smooth sound. Treble sounds clean and crisp without being the slightest bit harsh. You are right Larry, I probably couldn't have done much better for the money. Thanks for the reply.

-Mark

Bill L

sand

Quote Originally Posted by LarryCow
    I have the Diamond 8.3, which is the equivalent speaker from the prior generation. I liked them very much; although I have since changed to Maggies in my main system, I have them in a backup/game system inthe basement. Nice smooth highs, slightly recessed midrange, adequate bass which tightened up nicely when I added sand to the cabinets for mass loading. I can't imagine doing much better for the $$.
    That's funny. A long time ago Wharfdale added sand to their top end model speakers. My father owns a pair that were manufactured back in the 1950's (or early 60's). They are sand filled.

What induced you to add sand to the cabinets?

Bill
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

AR Newbie Registered Member
    The manual recommended it, and they are built w/ a separate lower compartment w/an opening to add sand or shot. I found the bass kid of flabby initially, but adding the sand clearly tightened it up. I assume it decreases the unwanted vibrations of the cabinet, and it's much cheaper than building a more rigid, braced cabinet.
    Of course, I then found that Maggies, w/o any cabinet, eliminated the need for sand or bracing. I can't see going back now...

Thread Information