nightflier

Off-Topic Forums Taking Over?

Is it just an impression or are the off-topic forums generating a lot more traffic than the audio forums? Is this an indication that this hobby is dying out?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Is it just an impression or are the off-topic forums generating a lot more traffic than the audio forums? Is this an indication that this hobby is dying out?
    Hey 'flier,

I don't think so. Looking at the big picture, I suspect alot of folks are a bit strapped for cash in the current economy...not much big-ticket, non-essential purchasing going on equipment-wise. Also, and this is the biggie, there's really not any new releases coming out.

Check out this thread. The Tunesday threads are usually designed to spur conversation about the week's new releases. Notice how everyone's discussing stuff from the past? Kinda limiting, eh?

Plus, it's summer. I know I've spent more time out and about recently and I'm sure many would say the same. Look at this, it'll make you feel better.

Peace,

sticks

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, I just haven't done much audio wise this year - waiting for a processor or receiver to impress me enough to buy, but there's not many out there yet below $2500, other than Onkyo/Integra that just ain't wooing me.
    I have a new projector, PS3/BluRay player and house which are nice.
    Been super busy with the local music festival I help run. Maybe next week I'll post some stuff.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I'll be interested to read your impressions of the new Rotel stuff.

Somebody tell me how I can post some things on the Classieds before I go crazy...!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Another site I frequent (non audio) is so full of political threads that it would be easy to forget what the site is about. Many folks are trying to hold on to their homes so I doubt if a lot of audio is moving. Now if you have seven homes and do not make less than 5 million a year you might be buying audio equipment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    Y'all are wrong.

It's because that's where I've been hanging out recently.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Somebody tell me how I can post some things on the Classieds before I go crazy...!
    Whatchya sellin' double A?

I gots a few things t' unload....

Lessee: There's a Yamaha DSP A-2070 I kin let go of fer $225.00; a B&O Beocord 8002 fer $375.00; and a dbx 1 bxIII fer aroun' $50.00....All of these have been around the block but are in reasonable good shape. Few nicks an' cuts, but operational....

If'n you're innerested, y'all holler, hear?

Suspended
    Thanks for the info Aa. I'll have to Google everything you've listed 'cause I have no idea what that stuff is.

Just think about it....

2008 is the first time I've purchased "new" gear (LCD, AV Receiver, DVD player) in about 7 years. I hadn't been in some of these sub-forums in about 4 years. If you're not purchasing something new or doing research is it really that interesting to read about it? And it might be another 7 before I jump on something new again. Natural ebbs and flows I believe. Also, the only "new" tech is what, Blu-Ray and not everyone's down for that yet. While there's always something "outside" to talk about.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    To me Worf this entire discussion site is just as much about its personalities as it is the individual subject matter. And besides, how many discussion forums are there that can brag about being the home of an honest-to-gosh Romulian (or whatever alien you are)?

FYI: We have just re-entered the time frame of the 9/11 attacks....RIP to the lost souls and Godspeed to the families and survivors....

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    FYI: We have just re-entered the time frame of the 9/11 attacks....RIP to the lost souls and Godspeed to the families and survivors....
    Never forget. :salute:

Um, Rich....Ya better be Rich in Georgia or some such place up high and dry. That Ike looks like he's barin' down on your asp....

Incidentally, this gear is good for folks who have regular receivers and wanna get some DSP capability. The tape deck would be better suited for any B&O heads out there and the dbx for those who wanna uncompress some stuff. Your Yamaha is probably more advanced, so don't think you're outta touch....

Funny. I'm back with the original Sherwood Newcastle receiver and diggin' it far more than the (obviously more expensive and tricked out) Yamaha.

Pretty ironic, inninit?

Suspended
    Ironical indeed Aa. I actually didn't even know there was such a thing as a separate DSP unit available, but what do I know?

I'm well enough inland so I'm not too worried about the hurricane. Depending on which way it goes once it reaches landfall we could get heavy rain/wind, or if it scoots east of Dallas, we'll get nothing. Our own JSE lives in or near Houston which stands a good chance of getting battered pretty hard.

The DSP-1 was innerdoosed in the mid '80's and got the whole DSP thing in the air and for good.

The DSP A-2070 is a multichannel integrated amp with a super-duper DSP included with adjustable parameters (reverb, room size, distance to speakers, etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad tedium) to diddle with.

Suspended
    Texas Instruments DSP's I trust?

Not so sure....Yamaha called their (DSP) Digital Soundfield Processing versus TI's Digital Signal Processing. At the same time, I think Yammy's technology was TI's (or Intel's) brainchild....

nightflier
    So from what people are saying (and from some of my own observations), it's not so much a lack of interest in hi-fi, but rather:

- Less money to go around
    - This is an election year
    - This is regional, and on other continents, the interest is up
    - Not much new technology of late
    - Latest technology (i.e. BR, HDMI, etc. ) is rather expensive and so people are waiting for prices to drop
    - People are recovering from the summer and just getting back to work

In any case, there is a definite drop off in posts to the audio forums....

Thread Information