Forum Regular

marantz 2270 hum/buzz issues.

i just picked up a rebuilt 2270, the seller was as legit as he could be and went into pretty good detail about the rebuilding process. now that ive got it here in my house im getting a fairly quiet hum through all inputs. i can only hear it when theres no sound coming through the speakers on in a particularly quiet part of a song. i thought it might be the speakers but when i plugged in headphones its there as well. any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying buzz?

If it's constant regardless of the volume setting and source selection, many times it's a sign that the electrolytic filter caps in the power supply are dodgy. Ther are other possibilities, but this is the most common.

If it's only in the phono stage, it could be a bad ground between the TT and the 2270.

If you have to turn the volume waaaaaaaaaay up and put your ear next to the speaker, I'd say this is normal.

Forum Regular
    figured it out. i had a cable running into the aux which was connected to my airtunes wireless router. as soon as i unplugged that the buzz vanished. i need to shop for a better cable, i need my wireless music option back.

Sounds like ...

Quote Originally Posted by chimpanjesus
    figured it out. i had a cable running into the aux which was connected to my airtunes wireless router. as soon as i unplugged that the buzz vanished. i need to shop for a better cable, i need my wireless music option back.
    There is likely a "ground loop" between the Airtunes and the receiver. The cable might not be the problem. Ground loops can be tricky to get rid of. Doe either the 2270 or the Airtunes have a grounded (three prong) plug?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Yeah, I thought it might be something other than the 2270. I owned one for 15 years and the only time I ever heard a buzz was when I was listening to Jimi and smoking some........well maybe I had better leave that for the Green Room Forum.

RR6

Thread Information